Subject: RE: [xacml-users] xpath access control

This issue had been debated on the Xpath/XQuery working group, and for
that I know there is no generic way to determine if two Xpath statements
will return you a same XDM (XQuery data model) instance.   It is not
even clear what "the same" means in this context.

If your Xpath processor supports rewriting and your document has a
schema you may be able to determine equivalency in a very restricted
subset of cases.  What Xpath2.0 implementation are you using?

Daniel;

-----Original Message-----
From: Wolfgang Schreiner [mailto:wolfgang.schreiner@ec3.at]
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 8:01 AM
To: xacml-users@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [xacml-users] xpath access control

Hi all,

Following problem: I would like to control access to a set of XML
documents via XPath 2.0 queries. XML fragements, which are allowed to
being accessed are specified by XPath 2.0 statements as well. What I
need is a method to determine whether 2 XPath statements are
semantically equal or similar, before executing the query and having to
post-filter the result. What is the best way to achieve this? Does the
XACML xpath-node-match function solve this problem?  Is there an
implementation to it? I think the Sun implementation does not include
XPath functions?

--

  best regards,

  Wolfgang Schreiner, Mag. DI