Subject: Re: [xacml-users] retrieving a list or query filter of resources the caller is authorized for

Yoichi, Paul,

There are few points that I want to comment on:

1.
>"Extracting" in what way and what do you want to extract exactly, and
where from?

F(Bag-of-string, Expr) = String

Expr is a XACML expression (actually it was a variable ref in my case) evaluated to an integer that represents a string index in a bag
Bag-of-string - is a bag of strings
String - returned value, which is the string with the index provided by Expr

I'm not sure what other details I can provide, except that I didn't make up the example, I needed it to return a message from a policy.

I'll try to generalize that "rigidness" problem. XACML defines expressions and variables just like any programming language, but it stops short from making expressions commonly available everywhere and suggests using static (or literal) content instead.

 AttributeValueType can't have expressions (e.g. variable references) inside. It means that constructs like AttributeAssignment that is used to define Obligations can't not contain expressions that will be interpreted by a PDP engine. It means that content that I can put to obligation is very much static. If you don't believe me, here is yet another simple puzzle:

You've assigned a value to a variable Var1 somewhere in a Policy:

      <VariableDefinition xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"; VariableId="Var1" xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:2.0:policy:schema:os">
      </VariableDefinition>

Now try to return the value of this variable in an Obligation. I would be surprised if you can.
It's very good that you've mentioned loops. I was thinking about them too and would like to have them in XACML, otherwise simple cases can easily become complicated.

2. It's good that AssociatedAdvice was introduced in XACML 3.0, but  can I put an expression to AssociatedAdvice that will be interpreted by a PDP before a response is sent back to a client? The second qs: why it was named as an "advice"? Can't we have it more generic by calling it DecisionDetails and allowing any details that might be related to a decision? Advice is just one particular case, right?

3. Returning to ambiguity of semantics, let us look at Farrukh's reasoning:

>Subject=this
>userAction=Any
>Resource=Any

Yes, Farruck, in this interpretation it doesn't make too much sense, but you've missed in my initial message the fact that Resource is actually a domain (or set of resources if you wish). In this interpretation you could return a Deny if a subject doesn't have any access to any resource in a domain and Permit otherwise. In the latter case you would need to build your name->value map as follows:

"resource1"->"read,write,exec"
"resource2"->"read"

etc.

I don't see any contradiction with the spec if you interpret it this way. You can put the details to that "AssociatedAdvice" field  and this is yet another reason to rename it to  DecisionDetails. I also completely agree with Paul who was saying that if a client is required to send ALL resources to get permissions to some of them, it might be problematic becuase you don't want all users to know about existence of all resources on the system. It just can empower a potential attacker to further hack the authz system in which case knowing that a resource with a certain name exists is a big aid for him (it's a very common finding in many security assessments).

But again, we're moving essential part of authorization from Policies that are formalized well (more or less) to PEP and PIP that are not formalized at all, if adopt the proposed solution. Probably Rich's proposal will help with solving this particular case.