Subject: RE: Subcommittees

I would like to participate in the "Standards Interoperability"
committee. An "Interoperability Statement" is possibly an initial
deliverable
this committee can make to clearly identify XACML's usefulness
when there are other security efforts, some even with
policies in XML. I proposed something like this in the conf-call,
but let me state the idea with some more clarity below.
Please consider the para below to be a proposal to the Standards Interop
subcommittee, and to XACML at large.

The Interoperability Statement should be able to answer the following
questions (this doc essentially maps to "identify" function of the
committee.)
1. What other standards works are relevant to XACML
I can think of SAML, XRML, IETF-AAA Research (other authorization works)
as directly relevant, and
XKMS, XMLDSIG, and other authentication and crypto works as belonging
to the landscape. It may be valuable to identify other standards that
might consume XACML (e.g., eBXML TP or TRP).
2. What is the broad landscape that consist of all these standards.
3. What value does XACML bring to it (TC Charter reformulation should help
state the value more clearly).
I am fairly sure many of you who were instrumental in kicking XACML effort
off would know the answer to this - the idea is to get the thoughts on
paper.
The users of XACML spec would much appreciate it. It is quite possible that
efforts we were not even aware of would surface.

The actual tracking and liaisoning with directly relevant and consumer
standards
is important and is possibly a parallel activity to creating the
Interoperability
statement.

Thanks,
-Suresh