Subject: RE: XACML TC Charter Revision - Strawman

Suresh,

I think that, before we change the terminology from "subject" to "target" we
should see if we can get the SAML folks to agree to this change. According
to the "XACML statement of purpose":

Related Work: To ensure work is not duplicated and standards adoption is as
simple as possible, XACML shall adopt as baseline documents the work
products of the  Security Services TC including but not limited to a Domain
Model and Glossary. Furthermore, Use Cases and Requirements documents will
share content that is common through normative references. The XACML TC
shall keep its work consistent with the work of the Security Services TC by
requesting enhancements to, modifications of, and cross-references from
Security Services TC documents through a formal liaison with the Security
Services TC. This liaison will include the regular sharing of deliverables
and
status reports during teleconferences or at face-to-face meetings.

-----Original Message-----
From: Damodaran, Suresh [mailto:Suresh_Damodaran@stercomm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2001 4:45 PM
To: 'xacml@lists.oasis-open.org'

Here is the revised TC Charter - from the lack of email on this thread
in the past few days, I am assuming that all the comments are already in.

Notes:
1. Changes from previous version:
	a) "subject" has been replaced by "target"
	b) "CORBA CSIv2" replaced by "LDAP"
2. Charter is silent on the mechanisms for executing the policy (PDP and
PEP).
3. Non-goals  of XACML are missing (if any of you want to take a stab at it,
please do)

 Please send your comments.

---------------

Product of TC
XACML TC will define a core XML schema for representing
entitlement policies, also called XACML

Policy Target
The target of a policy (hereafter referred to as "target") can be any object
that can be referenced in XML.

Protocols and bindings
XACML TC will define new protocols or identify bindings
to existing protocols (e.g., XPath, LDAP) intended as means of accessing and
communicating the policies

Scope
XACML is expected to address fine grained control of
authorized activities, the effect of characteristics of
the access requestor, the authorization protocol over
which the request is made, authorization based on classes
of activities, and content introspection (i.e. authorization
based on both the requestor and potentially attribute
values within the target where the values of
the attributes may not be known to the policy writer)

Extensibility
XACML core schema is extensible for as yet unknown features

Interoperability

XACML TC will define interoperability of XACML core schema
with other standards.

Simon Blackwell
Suresh Damodaran
Fred Moses