Subject: Re: access control information (formerly... Strawman)

"Simon Y. Blackwell" wrote:

> The problem with "insufficient funds to access" is it requires an
> understanding of the meaning of the constraint "balance > $5,000". (Yes, I
> know by policy example was not precisely in this form ...). To avoid the
> requirement that the policy engine actually understand the semantics of the
> constraint, I suppose it could return "balance < ?required-amount" which
> would only require programming the policy engine such that it understood the
> semantics of some finite set of operators. It still gets pretty ugly though.

ugly indeed. no matter which way you take this there are issues of
'ugliness'. on one hand you are faced with developing a library of
discrete responses that could be virtually limitless in number if they
are to provide usable information to all known test cases. on the other
hand, as you point out, application specific responses are likely to
require some sort of out-of-band (predefined) understanding of
semantics, etc. to react properly to the message (otherwise you are no
better off receiving a detailed response vs. 'no. go away'.)

perhaps the middle ground is the development of some generalized
semantics based upon the content of the request.

<winging it/> suppose a doc had <balance> as a field, your response
above would be a valid message ("balance < ?required-amount"). in other
words, responses would be based upon some generic expressions (<, >, <>,
=, +/-, etc.) and are limited to those fields presented in the request
itself. of course a document could be submitted that is missing
necessary information, in which case you would be stuck responding with
'all necessary information not present' or some such, but as mentioned
above, it is hard to think of a scenario whereby a valid requestor can
be totally ignorant of the recipient's requirements and still be able to
act in any meaningful way to the response codes reagardless of their
content.