Subject: What to do in Boston

>  any suggestions from those local to the area on stuff to keep geeks
> occupied?

Well, specifically Geek, I would suggest the Science Museum, near MIT
(Science Park stop on the Green Line). Many interesting exhibits including
world record setting human-powered flying machines (and boat), Giant
Vandegraf Generator (lightning machine), OmniMax theater, Planetarium and
some exhibits from the former Computer Museum.

More generally, downtown Boston is just a lot of fun to wander around on
foot. From the Waterfront and Faneuil Hall Marketplace to the Public Garden
and Esplanade along the Charles River is only a mile or so. The city is
quite small and pedestrian friendly. If you walk too far, there is excellent
Public transportation. (Don't drive.)

The first week of September is some of our best weather, so personally I
would recommend doing something outdoors. The good news is that it is a city
of students, so there are plenty of ways to have fun inexpensively. There
are likely to be free outdoor concerts in Back Bay. Pick up a copy of the
Boston Phoenix when you get here.

Their web page is: http://www.bostonphoenix.com/

There are probably lots of web sites with info, but I just noticed this one:

http://www.boston-online.com/bos.html

Here's the City's official tourist page:
http://www.ci.boston.ma.us/visitors/default.asp

That should get you started.

Hal