Subject: Re: [Use Case] Subcommittee Meeting Notes

I could not make a call for today's use cases WG because I was on the road.
I would like to make some comments on the use cases I submitted.

As for sending XML document to PDP for transformation, I agree to that it
is
essentially the PEP's responsibility. I mean that this is just an optional
case, not
a usual case, as I added a word of "optionally"in the sentence.

My intention behind this is the following:
If PEP and PDP are coupled tightly and there is little concern about trust
relationship between them, it would make sense to send the target resource
to PDP in order to have PDP make a data-dependent (dynamic) decision using
values of the target resource. Since PEP can trust PDP's decision and the
result of the transformation, an application (PEP) becomes much simpler.
However, if we define PEP as the agent that is only allowed to handle the
target resource, the above optional case even may not be seen as
communication between PEP and PDP, but just internal protocol in the PEP.

When you assume that the target resource is represented in XML, it would
become much easier to map between application-domain and PDP's domain,
because both domain can be XML. If you let PEP know the semantics of each
actions, e.g. read, write, and several protocol parameters between
PDP and PEP, the PEP's job could be reduced to less things such as
physically
resource retrieving and/or updating. I hope this will stimulate the
discussion.

regards,
Michiharu Kudo
Internet Technology              TEL +81-46-215-4642
Tokyo Research Laboratory    FAX +81-46-273-7428
IBM Japan Ltd.                      Internet: kudo@jp.ibm.com