Subject: RE: Negative Policies

I don't think it is a question of making a system "idiot proof" I think it
is a question of not digging a hole and scattering leaves over it.

The problem is not that people are idiots. In a large scale system, control
is distributed. A lot of people have to work more or less independently to
make things happen on a day to day basis. If the system is designed so that
changes in one place impact things in a remote part of the system, problems
are inevitable, no matter how good the people are. I call designs that have
this property "fragile".

I want to design systems which are not fragile, in part out of pride in
doing a good job. But I am also in business to sell systems. If my customer
can not make the technology work he will not buy it. Operations types at
large corporations are a lot more hard-nosed than technology architects.

I am sure we will continue to disagree on judgements about where to draw the
line, but I believe we both share the goal of creating designs that will be
practical to operate in real world environments.

Regards,

Hal