Subject: RE: [xacml] Is authorization decision a postcondition?

Hi Hal,

> We need to decide as a matter of terminology, whether the
> decision to allow or prohibit access is considered one of the
> post conditions (presumably mandatory) or is it considered a
> seperate thing? Personally I don't feel strongly either way,
> but I would like to be clear on what is meant when the term
> post conditions is used.

I think that the post-condition should be separate from the
access decision. In other words, the post-condition is just an option
of the access control policy specification but the access decision
(grant or deny) is not an option but a mandatory specification.

>The simplest scheme is that if the conflict is resolved to true, then
>all the post conditions that are associated with rules that evaluate to
>true must occur and those associated with rules that evaluate to false
> are not required to occur. But is this the right answer?

I think that is right. You are considering the most complicated policy
that allows post-conditions as well as positive and negative permission.
In this case, the policy evaluator first resolves conflict w.r.t grant or
deny access, then deal with post-condition(s) that are specified in
the corresponding rules.

In fact, there are four cases of the access decision as follows:
1. positive decision
2. negative decision
3. positive decision + post-condition(s)
4. negative decision + post-condition(s)

The first two cases do not imply any post-condition.
The third case means that "access is allowed but such and such
post-condition(s) must be executed"
The fourth case means that "access is not allowed but such and
such post-condition(s) must still be executed"

The fourth case sounds a little strange but it can represent
some intrusion detection policy such as "access from xx.yy.zz
is not allowed but notification must be sent to the security admin"

>It just occurred to me that there is a substantive question related to
this.
>Currently, a policy conflict occurs when you have 2 or more rules and they
>get different answers. Presumably this means how you decide to allow or
not
> allow access. But what about the various post conditions associated with
the
>rules? How does the PDP decide which post conditions should occur?

There are a couple of ways to compute applicable post-condition(s).

1. Gather every post-condition specified in the applied policy rules (and
optionally remove any duplicated condition)
2. Prioritize post-condition based on the applied policy rules and select
the
most appropriate one.
3. Prioritize post-condition based on the layer of the object and subject
hierarchy in the applied policy rules and select the most appropriate one.
For example, the post-condition written in the rule that is specified for
more concrete group (project X) overrides the post-condition that is
specified for more abstract group (department A).

The first case is the easiest one and this could be a default
post-condition
resolution policy. The second and third cases need more information about
rules and hierarchies and it can vary dependent on each application.

Best regards,
Michiharu Kudo