Subject: Re: [xacml] Potential SAML issues

Hello,

Sekhar Vajjhala - Sun Microsystems wrote:
> ISSUE: saml:Action is a "string"
>
>      saml:Action is currently specified as a "string". Making Action
>      an abstract type  would allow it to be extended. This would allow
>      the content model to be defined by a schema external to the SAML
>      spec.
>
>      Thus what constitues an action could be determined by the J2SE
> schema.

In SAML, saml:Action is used only in saml:Actions and saml:Actions
have Namespace as an attribute.
So it is possible to write action(s) such as:
  <saml:Actions Namespace="urn:J2SEPermission:java.io.FilePermission">
    <saml:Action>write</saml:Action>
  </saml:Actions>
or
  <saml:Actions Namespace="urn:J2SEPermission">
    <saml:Action>java.io.FilePermission:write</saml:Action>
  </saml:Actions>

But it will be useful if we can write something like:
  <saml:Action>
    <J2SEPermission class="java.io.FilePermission">write</J2SEPermission>
  </saml:Action>

> ISSUE: saml:AuthorizationQuery requires actions.
>
>      If actions are optional for XACML, then why should <saml:Actions>
>      be required in <saml:AuthorizationQuery> ? Both the wording in
>      the SAML assertions draft as well as the SAML schema place
>      such a requirement. saml:Actions should be optional in the
>      AuthorizationQuery to accomodate queries without actions.
>
>      At least for now, I don't anticipate this as an issue for J2SE.

In the latest SAML spec (core-25), AuthorizationDecisionQuery element
has Resource attribute and Actions element and both of them are
"required". Does this cause much problems?
(Resource attribute is "optional" for AuthorizationDecisionStatement
element.)

As for J2SE case, I think there is an issue in terminology.
Sekhar wrote::
|     A J2SE permission consists of
|
|     a. target   ("resource" in XACML terminology )
|     b. action   (optional)
(http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200112/msg00045.html)

In the example of FilePermission, everyone will agreee on that
"/tmp/*" indicates resources(targets) and "read,write" indicates
action(s).

In regard to AWTPermission, the J2SE document says:
| This is in the same spirit as the RuntimePermission; it's a
| permission without actions. The targets for this class are:
|
| accessClipboard
| accessEventQueue
| listenToAllAWTEvents
| showWindowWithoutWarningBanner
(http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/guide/security/spec/security-spec.doc3.html#20327)

It says that "accessClipboard" is a target, however, I think it is
possible to say "accessClipboard" is an action (in XACML terminology).

> ISSUE: single subject in AuthorizationQuery
>
>      saml:AuthorizationQuery currently only contains a single
>      Subject. While a saml:Subject can support multiple NameIdentifier
>      or SubjectConfirmation or AssertionSpecifier elements, it
>      is required that they all belong to the same principal. So
>      a single subject cannot be used for unrelated principals.
>
>      In J2SE, there is a need to base access control on multiple
>      principals which are not related and this therefore points to
>      to a need for more than one Subject in the saml:AuthorizationQuery
>
>      NOTE: The way out of this appears to be extend
> SubjectQueryAbstractType.

Is this the same issue with ISSUE:[DS-11-01:MultipleSubjectAssertions]
in draft-sstc-saml-issues-06.pdf?

Regards,
Toshi
---
NISHIMURA Toshihiro (FAMILY Given)
nishimura.toshi@jp.fujitsu.com
XML Application Technology Dept., PROJECT-A XML, FUJITSU LIMITED