Subject: Re: [xacml] [model] Issues PM-2-02,PM-2-04: Applicability

Anne,

I think a similar solution can be done by merely including explicit truth
values in the policy.  And that apporach will certainly make the policy
less complex in syntax and evaluation, yet also allow for flexibility in
expressing when a policy does not apply.

You hit on an important point. There is no EXPLICT "implication"
operator, I think. We basically have one operator (which I've been
labeling as "->")  for reasoning about the applicability target predicate
of a policy, but none within the policy itself.

We still need such things like:

<TRUE/>
<FALSE/>
<INAPPLICABLE>  or <NOT-APPLICABLE>

(Error will be an artifact of evaluation)

Because there would not be a way to merely state that a policy is True or
False all on its own (without any predicates).

But didn't we have some operator like "IF-THEN"

<IF-THEN>
  <...>
     a complex predicate that SHOULD NOT evaluate to n/a
  </...>
  <INAPPLICABLE/>
</IF-THEN>

It would have the same semantics as our applicability predicate.
With added semantics if the premise evaluated to INAPPLICABLE then the
entire expression is in Error.

NOTE: With our current 3 valued logic, "p implies q" would not be
equivalent to "(NOT p) OR q", which is true in classical 2 valued logic.

Cheers,
-Polar