Subject: [xacml] Grants and Denys

Title: Grants and Denys

On reflection, I am strongly opposed the the approach of having separate GRANT and DENY rules which somehow interact with each other.

I favor the approach, as in 0.9, where there is a single boolean that determines whether or not to grant access, for the following reasons:

1. I disagree that the former approach is more expressive. I believe they are equal.

2. I believe the latter is more intutive, although this may depend to some extent on what you are used to.

3. As witness our discussion Monday, the former approach adds a lot of additional issues.

In summary, since we are trying to produce one of two possible results, why start out with a scheme that produces one of four and then try to map it?

(G-T D-T, G-F D-T, G-T D-F, G-F G-T)

Hal