Subject: [xacml] New resolution for PM-1-02: Post-Conditions

Colleagues, we voted to close issue PM-1-02, but decisions made
in later votes affects some of the wording of the resolution to
this issue.  Here is the original resolution as approved, along
with changes I propose based on our later votes in []:

  We use the term "obligation" to mean what we have previously
  been calling "post condition". The issue of the term is
  addressed in PM-1-03.

  [CHANGE TO: "Obligations are annotations": The obligation is an
  annotation] that MAY be specified in a policyStatement and/or
  policyCombinationStatement that should be returned in
  conjunction with an authorization decision meaning that the
  obligations(s) SHOULD be executed by the PEP. The obligation is
  specified using URI reference with optional arguments. [DELETE:
  The processing rules of the obligation is defined by ruleSet
  combiner or policySet combiner. XACML provides a couple of
  combiner examples that deals with obligations in the
  informative section.] The actual meaning of each obligation
  [CHANGE TO "depends on the": differs from] application. It also
  depends on the configuration of the PEP and/or PDP. If the PEP
  does not [CHANGE TO "recognize": understand] an obligation, the
  PEP should deny access. [DELETE: The PDP just collects
  obligations.]

  [DELETE: (from F2F#4 minutes) ]The set of obligations returned
  by each level of evaluation includes only those obligations
  [ADD: "returned by rules, policyStatements, or
  policyCombinationStatements that were actually evaluated by the
  combiner algorithm, and "] associated with the effect element
  being returned by the given level of evaluation.  For example,
  a policy set may include some policies that return Permit and
  other policies that return Deny for a given request
  evaluation. If the policy combiner returns a result of Permit,
  then only those obligations associated with the policies [ADD:
  "that were evaluated, and "] that returned Permit are returned
  to the next higher level of evaluation.  If the PDP's
  evaluation is viewed as a tree of policyCombinationStatements,
  policyStatements, and rules, each of which returns "Permit" or
  "Deny", then the set of obligations returned by the PDP will
  include only the obligations associated [ADD: "with evaluated"]
  paths where the effect at each level of evaluation is the same
  as the effect being returned by the PDP.