Subject: RE: [xacml] XACML Request as "notional" XML document

Title: RE: [xacml] XACML Request as "notional" XML document

1. Should we rename XACML "Request" to "Query"?

Maybe.  That's how we call it in our product.

2. Do we want to incur the cost of "data bindings" and "COM-based
   processing" to handle references to such a "notional" XML
   document?

.. irrelevant, at this point, thoughts:  I actually think that the XACML standard should not be concerned with how you get you data needed for evaluation.  At all. All a general purpose PDP needs to evaluate a rule and reach a decision is some table of relevant named attributes (name - type - value constructs).  How exactly you get this values: declared in a policy as a constant, taken with an XPATH expression from a supplied or referred document, requested in AttributeQuery, read from a database with some custom code -- all this seems to be better off beeing a separated, or extensible standard.   Your data will come from the strangest of places...