Subject: RE: [xacml] Proposed semantics for operations involving INDETERMI NATE

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Daniel Engovatov wrote:

> > Incorrect password--when passed *as one of the parameters* in the
> > query--is NOT an operational error. it is reasonable therefore, to have
> > defined a legitimate response reflecting the action taken. what is not
> > appropriate is expecting the PEP to take action because someone changed
> > the PDP's authentication information to access the PRP (preventing
> > policy retrieval): that is an operational error.
>
> >I may call that an operational error for the PDP, but not for the PEP.
> >That information shouldn't even float to the PEP, as you say below. The
> >PDP should decide what to do with *its* operational error and return a
> >proper result to the PEP.
>
> What's a "proper" result?  Bail out? Continue with evaluating other
> rules? I disagree that not being able to evaluate a possible DENY
> rule, due to an operational error should be always equated to having
> no DENY rules at all.

Return Deny if this machine doesn't halt.  :^)

Each boolean function should have a proper result of True or False. Then
there is no problem.

> That should be part of a recombination algorithm - how you prioritize
> - for that you need a way to communicate such an evaluation result.

> As for scalability - if you need to evaluate a zillion rules, you may
> want to recombine results from several PDP, each dealing with part of
> the policy - say #1, #2, #3 say N/A, as they have no rules for the
> subject, #4 says GRANT, #5 says ERROR, but #5 is the one handling DENY
> rules.  If it says N/A, I am not sure it is what we want to have..

Well, our current model, in your example, policies 1,2,3, and 5 would say
Indeterminate, while #4 says Permit. However, if #5, by some crystal ball,
may return a Deny. If that is really your intent, then you need to wrap
the combination of policies with the Bill Parducci Policy Combinator which
only gives yields Permit if every policy evaluates to Permit.