Subject: RE: [xacml] Revised specification - added matching functions

P.S.  Actually - despite arguing - I do not totally oppose having a separate
unary transformation functions
map-someting defined for a sequence (returning an empty sequence for an
empty input)
Just they will add absolutely no functionality compared with the one
currently suggested, while it is several extra functions..
P.P.S.  whatever - I will send out a new table, including map-somethings in
about 30 min - we can discuss it later.

P.P.P.S.  Please, add the AttributeValue support for specifying sequences to
the issues list. (or using Attribute, from the context schema as input to
functions..)

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Engovatov
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 12:03 PM
To: 'Polar Humenn'; Daniel Engovatov
Cc: ''''Tim Moses' ' ' '; ''''XACML' ' ' '

They are all sequenced - if there is one instance of foo in the context (in
my example)
it will be exactly the same input.

The difference between declared single<type> and ne_sequence<type> is ONLY
the specified behavior,
when function is given a sequence of a particular size.
function taking single<type>, should produce an error is the SEQUENCE
provided as the argument, is
of size != 1, function specified ne_sequence<type>, should process sequence
of any size >0 - it will
process single<type> just as well.

On the other hand - if you do not restrict to a non-empty sequence - you
have to specify the result
for an empty sequence (missing attribute).

To clarify my proposal.

Let have an attribute foo, of type decimal that may be present in context 0,
1, or 5 times.

I need two rules
First - should check if the rounded value of foo, if it is defined one, and
only one time, is equal to 42.

Second - should check if at least one value, rounded is equal to 3.

First rule will have condition (in pseudo language)

(integer-equal ((attributevalue type=integer)42) (round (attribute
designator name=foo)))

It will yield INDERTERMINATE if foo is missing, or present 5 times (that is
if sttribute designator returns no, or 5 values in a sequence.  Only exactly
one returned value is accepted.

Second rule will be
(integer-member-of ((attributevalue type=integer)3) (round (attribute
designator name=foo)))

This one will work for 1, or 5 present values returned by the designator,
but round will produce error, treated as
invalid argument by integer-member-of.  Not restricting round to non-empty
sequence will require the round returns SOMETHING, when given an empty
sequence of decimals, other then an error.  What would the result be?