Subject: Re: [xacml] Updated Change Requests list

Ann,
After some consideration I'd like to take issue 38 (xacml attr semantics)
off the list.
Simon

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anne Anderson" <Anne.Anderson@Sun.com>
To: "XACML TC" <xacml@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 10:38 AM
Subject: [xacml] Updated Change Requests list

> Title:   Change Requests
> Author:  Anne Anderson
> Version: 1.5, 02/09/09 (yy/mm/dd)
> Original Source:
/net/labeast.east/files2/east/info/projects/isrg/xacml/docs/SCCS/s.ChangeReq
uests.txt

> [...]
>     rule-combining algorithm to "First Applicable".
>
>     Rationale:
>
>     Section C.3, should this be called "First Applicable"
>     rather than "First Applicable Rule Combining Algorithm"?
>     This would be more consistent with both C.1 and C.2, and
>     would also be more consistent with the fact that C.3
>     contains both a rule combining algorithm and a policy
>     combining algorithm.
>
>     The first sentence of C.3 calls it the "First Determinate"
>     rule-combining algorithm; this should be changed to "First
>     Applicable".
>
> 0019. [Carlisle] C. consistent error behavior
>       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200208/msg00099.html
>
>     STATUS: POSTPONED 9/9 (Polar to review and recommend action)
>
>     Policy combiner should halt and return Indeterminate when
>     an error is encountered.
>
>     Rationale:
>
>     The behaviour specified in the policy-combining algorithm
>     when an error is encountered is different from the
>     behaviour specified in the rule-combining algorithm when an
>     error is encountered (the rule combiner says halt and
>     return Indeterminate, whereas the policy combiner says to
>     keep looking for an applicable policy).  Is this what we
>     wanted?
>
>     More importantly, might the policy combiner behaviour not
>     lead to different answers for the same inputs?  For
>     example, say there are two policies that are to be combined
>     using this algorithm.  Given a particular set of input
>     values, the first policy would return a decision of
>     "Permit" and the second policy would return a decision of
>     "Deny".  Now we give all the inputs to two different PDPs.
>     The first PDP retrieves the first policy, gets an answer of
>     "Permit", and returns this to the PEP.  The second PDP has
>     trouble retrieving the first policy for whatever reason
>     and, according to the combining algorithm, retrieves the
>     second policy; it then returns a "Deny" to the PEP. Isn't
>     this the sort of result we want to avoid?  Wouldn't the
>     behaviour specified in the rule combining algorithm be
>     preferable (that way, the first PDP would return "Permit"
>     and the second would return "Indeterminate", which seems
>     fine to me)?
>
> 0020. [Michiharu] B.10: Resource Attributes scope value
>       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200208/msg00112.html
>
>     STATUS: APPROVED 9/9 (NQ)  Add new attribute identifier below.
>
>     In B.10, the identifier indicates the scope of the request
>     with regard to the resource. When this Attribute is
>     specified in the request, the value MUST be either
>     'Immediate', 'Children', or 'Descendant'.
>
>     New identifier is: urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:1.0:resource:scope
>
> 0021. [Michiharu] 8.1 Operational Model: PDP description change
>       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200208/msg00112.html
>
>     STATUS: APPROVED 9/9 (NQ)
>
>     8.1 Policy Decision Point (PDP)
>
>     Given a valid XACML "Policy" or a "PolicySet", a compliant XACML PDP
MUST
>     evaluate that statement in accordance to the semantics specified in
Section
>     4,5, and 6 when applied to a specific input context. The PDP MUST
return an
>     output context, with one value of "Permit", "Deny", "Indeterminate",
or
>     "NotApplicable".
>
>     If a permit is returned, the PEP permit access to the requested
resource.
>     If a denial is returned, the PEP denies access to the requested
resource.
>     If a permit with one or more obligations is returned, the PEP permits
>     access provided that every obligations are fulfilled successfully. If
>     denial with one or more obligations is returned, the PEP denies access
but
>     still fulfills the obligations. In each case, when fulfilling
obligations
>     failed, the PEP SHOULD raise an error. How the error is raised is out
of
>     the scope of XACML. In any case, the PDP can return additional
information
>     in the status code element in the response context. For 'Permit'
decision,
>     it MAY specify which rules are used in decision making.
>
>     If an indeterminate is returned, it means that the PDP could not make
>     decision due to some reason. The PDP MAY return decision of
"indeterminate"
>     with a status code of
"urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:1.0:missing-attribute",
>     signifying that more information is needed. In this case, the decision
MAY
>     list the names of any attributes of the subject and the resource that
are
>     needed by the PDP to refine its decision. A PEP MAY resubmit a refined
>     request context in response to a decision of "indeterminate" with a
status
>     code of "missing-attribute" by adding attribute values for the
attribute
>     names that are listed in the response. When the PDP returns an
decision of
>     "indeterminate", with a status code of "missing-attribute", a PDP MUST
NOT
> [...]
is
>     hierarchically organized or not is out of the scope of the XACML.
>
>     8.3 Propagation through Data Hierarchy
>
>     When the resource is hierarchically organized, it is often the case
that an
>     access control rule associated to a certain node propagates down to
the
>     descendant nodes. The XACML core rule combining algorithm does not
support
>     such propagation with regard to access control rules. Policy writers
who
>     need propagation MUST implement their own local algorithm and specify
that
>     algorithm ID in RuleCombiningAlgId in policy element.
>
> 0023. [Daniel, Polar] function names, types, semantics
>       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200208/msg00181.html
>
>     STATUS: POSTPONED 9/9 (Anne to review XPath 2.0 specifications)
>
>     Daniel and Polar have developed a list of functions and
>     their semantics, attached to the above
>     e-mail. (XACML_functions0.8.DOC)
>
>     CR#8 should be updated based on the final list of functions
>     to show which are mandatory-to-implement.
>
> 0024. [Anne] Make "gregorian" functions non-mandatory
>       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200208/msg00137.html
>
>     STATUS: APPROVED 9/9 (NQ)
>
>     Text Changes:
>       Section 11.1.4(?) [Conformance] Functions
>         Remove "M" from left column of
>            urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:1.0:function:gregorian-equal
>     Rationale:
>       We already support xs:date, so support for Gregorian is icing
>       on the cake.  Also, I haven't found a standard for "gregorian",
>       so it is hard to develop tests for it.
>
> 0025. [Anne] remove NOTATION from supported types; remove assoc. functions
>       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200208/msg00138.html
>
>     STATUS: APPROVED 9/9 (NQ)
>
>     Text Changes:
>       Section 11. Conformance, DataTypes, remove:
>         line listing "xs:NOTATION"
>
>       Appendix A.1. Functions, remove:
>         function:NOTATION-equal
>         function:NOTATION-not-equal
>
>     Rationale:
>       XML Schema says
>           "It is an error for NOTATION to be used directly
>           in a schema.  Only datatypes that are derived from NOTATION by
>           specifying a value for enumeration can be used in a schema.
>
>           For compatibility NOTATION should be used only on attributes."
>
>       Also, QName-equal and QName-not-equal can be used to compare
>       such data types if necessary.
>
>       I'm on thin ground here, since I don't know enough about XML
>       Schema to be sure I am interpreting the impact of this
>       correctly.
>
> 0026. [Michiharu] Add XPath functions as non-mandatory
>       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200208/msg00142.html
>
>     STATUS: POSTPONED 9/9 (Michiharu will update and resubmit)
>
>     [See referenced e-mail for function definitions]
>
>     I propose to include the following functions (all relevant to XPath)
in the
> [...]
>     'String' syntax is assumed. 'URI' indicates that the syntax of the
>     resource-id is URI format. 'XPointer' indicates that the syntax of the
>     resource-id is XPointer format proposed in
>     http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/CR-xptr-20010911/.
>
> 0029. [Michiharu] Add identifier for resource:scope
>     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200208/msg00143.html (B2)
>
>     STATUS: CLOSED 9/9; DUPLICATE of #20.
>
>     urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:1.0:resource:scope
>
>     This identifier indicates the scope of the resource. The valid values
are
>     either 'Immediate', 'Children', or 'Descendant'. When 'Immediate', it
>     indicates that the scope of the resource is a target value specified
by
>     urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:1.0:resource:resource-id attribute. When
>     'Children', it indicates that the scope of the resource is a target
value
>     specified by urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:1.0:resource:resource-id
attribute
>     and its children resource. When 'Descendant', it indicates that the
scope
>     of the resource is a target value specified by
>     urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:1.0:resource:resource-id attribute and all
the
>     descendant resources.
>
> 0030. [Michiharu] Add identifier for resource:target-namespace
>     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200208/msg00143.html (B3)
>
>     STATUS: APPROVED 9/9 (NQ)
>
>     urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:1.0:resource:target-namespace
>
>     This identifier indicates the target-namespace of the requested XML
>     document, that is a namespace URI associated with the root element of
the
>     XML document.
>
> 0031. [Michiharu] Type of XPathVersion element from string=>anyURI
>     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200208/msg00144.html
>
>     STATUS: POSTPONED 9/9 (Michiharu to reconsider and resubmit)
>
>     Schema change request
>     <xs:element name="XPathVersion" type="xs:string" substitutionGroup
>     ="xacml:AbstractDefaults"/>
>     ==>
>     <xs:element name="XPathVersion" type="xs:anyURI" substitutionGroup
>     ="xacml:AbstractDefaults"/>
>
>     [Simon] this would require type of AbstractDefaults to be
>     changed to anyURI.  Possibly OK, but need to evaluate impact.
>
> 0032. [Michiharu] Schema change of AttributeSelector
>     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200208/msg00145.html
>     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200208/msg00146.html
(example)
>     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200208/msg00149.html
(correction)
>     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200208/msg00150.html
(Simon)

>     STATUS: POSTPONED 9/9 (Michiharu to revise and resubmit)
>
>     I propose to change the AttributeSelector element. The reason of this
>     change is described in a separate mail titled "[xacml]
AttributeSelector
>     example".
>
>     <xs:complexType name="AttributeSelectorType">
>       <xs:attribute name="RequestContextPath" type="xs:anyURI"
use="required"/>
>       <xs:attribute name="DataType" type="xs:anyURI" use="required"/>
>       <xs:attribute name="XPathVersion" type="xs:anyURI" use="optional"
default
>     ="http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/Rec-xpath-19991116"/>
>     </xs:complexType>
>
>     ==>
>
>     <xs:complexType name="AttributeSelectorType">
>       <xs:element ref="xacml:XPathNamespace" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs
>     ="unbounded"/>
>       <xs:choice>
>         <xs:attribute name="RequestContextPath" type="xs:anyURI" use
>     ="optional"/>
>         <xs:attribute name="RequestContextId" type="xs:string"
use="optional"/>
>       </xs:choice>
>       <xs:attribute name="DataType" type="xs:anyURI" use="optional"/>
>       <xs:attribute name="XPathVersion" type="xs:anyURI" use="optional"
default
>     ="http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/Rec-xpath-19991116"/>
>     </xs:complexType>
>
>     <xs:element name="XPathNamespace" type="xacml:XPathNamespaceType"
>     substitutionGroup="xacml:AbstractDefaults"/>
>     <xs:complexType name="XPathNamespaceType">
>       <xs:attribute name="NamespaceURI" type="xs:anyURI"/>
>       <xs:attribute name="Prefix" type="xs:string" use="optional"/>
>     </xs:complexType>
>
>     Scope of the XPathNamespace for AttributeSelector element:
>     1. AttributeSelector element that includes XPathNamespace element,
>     XPathNamespace elements in PolicyDefaults or PolicySetDefaults
elements
>     that include the AttributeSelector element.
>
>     For the precedence,
>     1. XPathNamespace elements in AttributeSelector take precedence over
>     XPathNamespace elements in PolicyDefaults in Policy element..
>     2. XPathNamespace elements in PolicyDefaults in Policy take precedence
over
>     XPathNamespace elements in PolicySetDefaults in PolicySet element..
>     3. If there are two or more identical prefixes are specified under an
>     AttributeSelector, a PolicyDefaults or a PolicySetDefaults elements,
the
>     last prefix takes precedence over the previous prefixes.
>
>     Others:
>     1. Global xmlns attribute is not used for resolving namespace-prefix
pair
>     specified in XPath expression.
>     2. If no XPathNamespace element is found in valid scope, it means no
>     namespace-prefix pair is defined.
>     3. If Prefix attribute is missing, it means that default namespace is
>     defined.
>
>     Text change request
>     In Section 5.3, Element <PolicySetDefaults>, line 1487-1489,
>
>     <AbstractDefaults>[Any Number]
>
>     This is the head of substitution group to specify default parameters.
The
>     elements in this substitution group defined at this time are
<XPathVersion>
>     element and <XPathNamespace> element.
>
> 0033. [Michiharu] Example two to separate document
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200208/msg00147.html
>
>     STATUS: REJECTED 9/9 (but add "this is a complex example" to intro)
>
>     After looking at line 589-1102, I think that Section 3.2
>     policy specification in Example two is too complicated for
>     average readers. While my preference is to hold this example
>     in the spec, most readers would feel that XACML is difficult
>     to read and understand when they try to go through this
>     example. Besides, this example requires expertise about XPath
>     syntax and its data model that is basically different from
>     this specification.  Honestly speaking, it is a little
>     difficult even for me... :-). So my suggestion is to move
>     this section to a separate document (say Primer document or
>     Use Case document).
>
>     [We decided to keep the example, but revise the introduction
>     slightly to make it clear that this is a very complex example
>     intended to illustrate various features of the XACML
>     language.  The functions also need to be updated.  Polar will
>     do that.]
>
> 0034. [Polar] Target Match Semantics Section 4 & 5
>     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200208/msg00188.html
>     [long set of specific text changes included in e-mail]
>     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200208/msg00189.html
(correction)

>     STATUS: APPROVED 9/9 (NQ)
>
>     The semantics for the Target need to be updated. It doesn't seem to
>     describe how "Match" or "No-Match" are derived at. The document
mentions
>     logical-AND and logical-OR, and they are not defined for Match and
>     No-Match. Also, we need to resolve the discovery and issue of the
>     inconsistency between the evaluation of Target and Condition with
respect
>     to Indeterminate and NotApplicable, now that we are making progress on
the
>     "functions" document.
>
>     I feel that if we refer to the Target evaluations with the same
semantics
>     as Condition, we can leverage the use of True, False, and
Indeterminate
>     that we have already defined, and then we can use the notions of
>     conjunctive sequence and disjunctive sequence as combinators of our
>     boolean values (true, false, indeterminate) with the normative
>     specifications of our functions "function:and" and "function:or" for
the
>     combining rules. This will take care of the normative handling of
error
>     conditions in the evaluation logic.
>
>     When the XACML Data Types, Functions, and Semantics gets put in the
>     document, I suggest making the following changes. Some changes are
>     editorial.
>
>     Note: There is some issue about <Target> and <Condition> of where they
say
>     that they possible to be "empty", but I'm not sure if that means
"omitted"
>     (i.e. minOccurs="0"), or <Target/>, or <Condition/>.
>
> 0035. [Michiharu] AttributeSelectorIndirect
>     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200208/msg00190.html
>     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200208/msg00201.html
(followup)
>     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200209/msg00016.html (more)
>     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200209/msg00024.html
(Polar)
>     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200209/msg00030.html
(Michiharu)
>     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200209/msg00031.html
(Polar)
>     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200209/msg00035.html
(Daniel)
>     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200209/msg00036.html
(Daniel)
>     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200209/msg00040.html
(Polar)
>     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200209/msg00042.html
(Daniel)

>     STATUS: POSTPONED 9/9 (Michiharu will restate and resubmit)
>
>     Based on the discussion on Monday call, Simon and I agreed to changing
the
>     schema to support an AttributeSelectorIndirect element to retrieve a
XPath
>     expression from the context.
>
> 0036. [Michiharu] DataType attribute required?
>     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200208/msg00192.html
>
>     STATUS: APPROVED 9/9 (NQ) (Remove DataType in Policy; keep in Context)
>
>     DataType attribute in AttributeDesignatorType is 'required'. But in
most
>     cases, AttributeDesignator is used below the matching function (e.g.
>     string-match) and that function is type-specific. So I think
"DataType"
>     attribute is not required. I propose to change it to "optional".
>
>     <xs:complexType name="AttributeDesignatorType">
>       <xs:attribute name="AttributeId" type="xs:anyURI" use="required"/>
>       <xs:attribute name="DataType" type="xs:anyURI" use="required"/>
>       <xs:attribute name="Issuer" type="xs:anyURI" use="optional"/>
>     </xs:complexType>
>
>     [should be]
>     <xs:complexType name="AttributeDesignatorType">
>       <xs:attribute name="AttributeId" type="xs:anyURI" use="required"/>
>       <xs:attribute name="DataType" type="xs:anyURI" use="optional"/>
>       <xs:attribute name="Issuer" type="xs:anyURI" use="optional"/>
>     </xs:complexType>
>
> 0037. [Michiharu] Add normalized-string-match function
>     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200209/msg00056.html
>
>     STATUS: APPROVED 9/9 (NQ)
>
>     - Handling whitespace
>
>     XPath 1.0 (and 2.0) has a function called normalize-space() that
strips
>     leading and trailing whitespace and replacing sequences of whitespace
>     characters by a single space. Some people suggests to use this
function
>     whenever string equality is checked on a XML document. That hides
subtle
>     issues like how to handle whitespace in XML. However, some
applications may
>     need non-normlized string comparison.
>
>     So my suggestion is to support two kinds of string-equal functions:
>     string-equal and normalized-string-equal. The string-equal does not
>     normalize the string and the normalized-string-equal works as if it
invokes
>     normalize-space() function internally before comparison is made. The
>     normalized-string-equal function is necessary if a user need to
specify
>     this function in MatchId attribute. When string-equal is used, any
>     whitespace handling specifier "xml:space" attribute on XACML Request
>     Context will be ignored except for the element inside the
ResourceContent
>     element.
>
>     - Semantics of the string comparison
>
>     XPath 2.0 defines xf:compare function instead of defining
xf:string-equal
>     function. The xf:compare has an optional argument called "collation"
that
>     specifies Unicode collation algorithm. The draft says, if it is
omitted,
>     the default collation is used (but its rule is TBD). Then, if we
assume
>     that there is a default collation for XACML, the function:string-equal
is
>     defined as "it returns true depending on the value of the first string
is
>     equal to the value of the second string according to the rules of the
>     collation that is used. Otherwise, false is returned". We may add "if
>     either argument is the empty sequence, it returns false". Default
collation
>     in XACML would be "comparison on each character of the string using
>     integer-equal".
>
> 0038. [Simon] Extending XACML semantics with subject-class
>     http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200209/msg00052.html
>
>     STATUS: POSTPONED 9/9 (Simon to submit use case where *required*)
>
>     Currently there is no semantics associated with the 'subject'
>     and 'resource' definition in the 'target' of a rule.  The
>     only thing we do is match attribute designator with attribute
>     value.
>
>     Although there was a decision made not to have such
>     semantics, I find it limiting.
>
>     I propose to allow new elements in the rule target that
>     convey semantics of an attribute.
>
>     It is accomplished by wrapping subject-match with
>     <subject-class> element, like this:
>
>     <rule>
>       <target>
>         <subjects>
>           <subject>
>             <subject-class
> class-id="urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:1.0:subject:class:group"> <-- this line
is new
>                <subject-match match-id="function:string-equal">
>                  <subject-attribute-designator
attribute-id="security-role"

category="urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:subject:access-subject"/>