Subject: Re: [xacml] change request: namespaces in xpath expressions

Simon,

You are right. So I agree with your proposal to use xmlns attribute
to indicate the XPath namespace and prefix. I first intended to explicitly
specify
policy-specific information separate from schema-level information but I
think
it might be a minor issue. Since I was a little concerned about the
semantics
duplication particularly of the inheritance through the policy hierarchy,
using
xmlns attribute satisfies this. So please post a change request to the list
remove XPathNamespace element and text change in the spec.

Michiharu Kudo

IBM Tokyo Research Laboratory, Internet Technology
Tel. +81 (46) 215-4642   Fax +81 (46) 273-7428

                      Simon Godik
                      <simon@godik.com>        To:       xacml@lists.oasis-open.org
                                               cc:
                      2002/09/29 05:34         Subject:  Re: [xacml] change request: namespaces in xpath expressions

Michiharu,
The other use of namespace decl I'm aware of is QName
for the values of xml attributes, such as "xs:string", and XSLT where
namespace prefixes of xpath expressions are expanded when expression is
evaluated.
If you do not want to use xmlns decl, I agree with your proposal:
drop XPathNamespace element from the AttributeSelector and leave
it the PolicyDefaults element only.

Simon