Subject: RE: [xacml] Re: Question about mechanics of announcing a public r eview

Title: RE: [xacml] Re: Question about mechanics of announcing a public review

> The Process says that the public review "should be publicized on
> applicable OASIS lists and other public mail lists." So the
> announcement
> should at a minimum go to the OASIS members list, which will
> get to all
> participants of all TCs. announce would probably be
> redundant, plus it's
> used mostly for press releases.

Somehow I was thinking [members] was just the one voting rep from each organization. If it goes to anyone that participates in any TC, that should be good enough.

> xml-dev would be good for getting a
> broader audience of XML developers. If there are other lists
> that we can
> get a message on then we should do that too. The idea is to
> get as many
> (good) comments as possible.

Well we could cross post to IETF PKIX, that covers a lot of the security community. Between that and OASIS [members] I don't think that will leave out many people who would be interested. In the interests of our liaison relationship, we could post to some W3C list. The only one I can post to is WSA Arch, which seems too narrow. Is there a broader W3C list you can post to?

>  > I envision the announcement would be quite simple: what,
> when, where,
>  > how to comment.
>
> Yeah, something like that. If you'd like to take a stab at drafting
> something I could polish it before sedning it out. Or if
> you'd prefer to
> just send me the bare facts I can draft the announcement.

I will do a first draft.

>  > The timeframe for this may be quite short. We hope to vote
> for committee
>  > spec tomorrow, begin the review Monday, ending Nov 13 and submit to
>  > OASIS by Nov 15. This may of course slip if we are not ready.
>
> Don't try to rush this; we cut the approval schedule
> specifically so you
> wouldn't need to feel rushed. Remember that you've got to include an
> account of the disposition of the comments when you submit to
> OASIS, and
> you can't do this until you have actually addressed the
> comments. If you
> don't get any comments back then you can submit right away,
> but you may
> get some comments that will need to be addressed, after which
> you need
> to re-approve the Committee Specification before you submit to OASIS.

We have a draft procedure to take care of this. I believe if we process comments as they come in, we can do what we have to without either wasting time or rushing. The point is that the spec has been "almost ready" since August.

Hal