Subject: Re: [xacml] [CR] New Section 7.x: Initial policy

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Anne Anderson wrote:

> A PDP may encounter a situation where it finds multiple policies,
> despite our statement that it MUST NOT.  I am trying to provide
> guidance for the implementer on how to handle this situation.
>
> A typical, skilled implementor known to me, who shall remain
> unnamed, wanted to know if he/she should write her/his
> implementation to *verify* that there is only one and what to
> return if more than one were encountered.
>
> So this is a real question that implementors want to know the
> answer to.

I would say in this case the PDP is configured with a SINGLE "virtual"
PolicySet, where its policies are retrived by their applicable targets,
and then the result combined with some standard combining algorithm. So,
name it: First Applicable, DenyOverrides, PermitOverrides. We can come up
with a new combining algorithm "There can be only one." :)

-Polar