Subject: [xacml] Change Requests list

This list is unfortunately not complete.  I did not have time to
include all the change requests submitted.

-Anne

Title:   Change Requests Set 3
Author:  Anne Anderson
Version: 1.4, 02/10/14 (yy/mm/dd)
Original Source: /net/labeast.east/files2/east/info/projects/isrg/xacml/docs/SCCS/s.ChangeRequests3.txt

This version contains all Change Requests not reflected in
the v0.18c.doc version of the XACML Specification.  This file
reflects all unresolved e-mail between archive msg00.html and msg msg00203.html

ACTION ITEMS
============
None

LEGEND
======
NQ=no quorum; official vote required
Q=quorum

SUMMARY
=======
AA01: Remove Table 4 - Attribute Identifiers from A.13.1
  STATUS: not yet considered
AA02: New section in Appendix A on Structured  datatypes
  STATUS: not yet considered
HL01: Typos in 18c
  STATUS: editorial
HL02: Policy Indexing
  STATUS: not yet considered.
AA03: typo: 2.10.Actions performed in conjunction with enforcement
  STATUS: editorial.
PH01: Clarifications changes on 18c
  STATUS: not yet considered
PH02: Review of Obligations Section 5.32
  STATUS: not yet considered.
PH03: Section 7.5
  STATUS: not yet considered.
AA04: 5.1 PolicySetId explanation clarification
  STATUS: not yet considered.
AA05: editorial: PolicyCombiningAlgId reference
  STATUS: editorial.
AA06: clarify computed <Target>s
  STATUS: not yet considered.

DETAILS
=======
AA01: Remove Table 4 - Attribute Identifiers from A.13.1
  e-mail sent 11 Oct 2002 09:53:48 -0400 (EDT)
  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200210/msg00123.html

  STATUS: not yet considered

  Text location: Section A.13.1, following x500Name-equal function
  description (p.191, line 3527 in my copy of 18c :-)

  Text change: Remove "Table 4 - Attribute identifiers"

  Rationale: This table is no longer part of the normalization step
  for x500Name types and is no longer referenced.  The description
  of normalization now simply refers to IETF RFC2253.

AA02: New section in Appendix A on Structured  datatypes
  e-mail sent 11 Oct 2002 10:27:09 -0400 (EDT)
  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200210/msg00124.html

  STATUS: not yet considered

  Text location: Section A, following "A.2 Primitive
  types" (p. 86, between lines 3345 and 3346 in my copy of 18c :-)

  Text change: Add following new section

    A.3 Structured types

    An XACML <AttributeValue> MAY contain an instance of a structured
    xml data type, for example <ds:KeyInfo>.  XACML 1.0 supports
    three ways of comparing such <AttributeValue>s.

    1) In some cases, such an <AttributeValue> may be compared
       using one of the XACML string functions, such as
       regexp-string-match, described below.  This requires the
       structured data, including its tags and attributes, to be
       treated as an <xs:string>.  In general, this method will not
       be adequate unless the structured data type is quite simple.

    2) An <AttributeSelector> element may be used to select the value
       of a leaf sub-element of the structured data type.  That value
       may then be compared using one of the supported XACML
       functions appropriate for its primitive data type.

    3) An <AttributeSelector> element may be used to select the value
       of any node in the structured type.  This node may then be
       compared using one of the XPath-based functions described
       below.

    Methods 2) and 3) require support for optional XACML features
    (XPath expressions and XPath functions) by the PDP.

    A fourth alternative is for a community of XACML users to define
    separate attribute identifiers for each leaf sub-element of a
    given structured data type.  Using these identifiers, the Context
    Handlers used by that community of users can flatten instances of
    the structured data type into a sequence of <Attribute>s.  Each
    such <Attribute> will have an <AttributeValue> that is and
    instance of one of the XACML-supported primitive Datatypes, and
    thus can be compared using the XACML-supported functions.

  Rationale: this change was proposed in "[xacml] Proposed text for
  new section in Appendix A on Structureddatatypes", 03 Oct 2002
  14:16:09 -0400(EDT),
  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200210/msg00017.html

  On 11 October, Daniel Engovatov writes: RE: [xacml] AA02: New section in Appendix A on Structured datatypes
   > How can <AttributeValue dataType="ds:KeyInfo"> with required attribute  used
   > as an xs:string?  Is not it a type error?  Would be the syntax for such
   > <apply>?

  Declare the DataType as xs:string, not ds:KeyInfo.  This is not
  very workable, since there must be an EXACT string equality, or
  else a very complex regular expression, used in the Policy.  But,
  as I said, in some cases this might work.

  Example:

  Request:
  <Subject>
      <Attribute
            AttributeId="urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:1.0:subject:key-info"
            DataType="xs:string">
          <AttributeValue><ds:KeyName>jhibbert-key</ds:KeyName></AttributeValue>
      </Attribute>
  </Subject>

  Policy:
  <Target>
      <Subjects>
          <Subject>
              <SubjectMatch
                    MatchId="function:string-match">
                  <SubjectAttributeDesignator
                        AttributeId="urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:1.0:subject:key-info"
                        DataType="xs:string"/>
                  <AttributeValue
                        DataType="xs:string"><ds:KeyName>jhibbert-key</ds:KeyName></AttributeValue>
              </SubjectMatch>
          </Subject>
      </Subjects>

HL01: Typos in 18c
  e-mail sent 11 Oct 2002 11:17:52 -0400
  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/xacml/200210/msg00125.html

  STATUS: editorial

  Line 309 Non-mormative --> Non-normative

  Line 2474 Distingwished --> Distinguished

HL02: Policy Indexing
  e-mail sent 11 Oct 2002 12:10:39 -0400

  STATUS: not yet considered.

  Section 2.8 describes two policy indexing strategies. This
  seems like a reasonable discussion to motivate the use of
  target, but I have a couple of concerns.

  1. My most important concern is that it states that "only one
  policy statement applies". This is contrary to my understanding
  (or what are combining algorithms for?) and it appears to
  contradict section 2.2 specifically.

  2. I really don't see that strong a distinction between the two
  cases and I suspect that they are not the only possibilities
  either. It seems to me that the general case is basically that
  you have a bunch of policies stored someplace and you need to
  find the ones (hopefully using some efficient technique) who's
  Targets match the corresponding fields in the Request
  Context. Period.

  Am I missing some subtleties here? If there is general
  agreement, I would be willing to draft some text, but I don't
  want to do so until there is consensus.

  [Tim] Hal - I have no objection to your redrafting that
  section.  Remember, though, that separate policies applicable
  to the same request do not identify an algorithm for combining
  them, unless they are encapsulated in a policy set containing
  an identifier for a combining algorithm.  That policy set
  becomes the single policy applicable to the request.  I am open
  to the idea that the current explanation may be confusing.
  But, by my understanding, we cannot present a PDP with multiple
  policies for a request, because it won't know how to combine
  them.

  [Polar] I agree. I drafted a One-applicable-policy combining
  algorithm to handle this case. In conjunction, in Section 7.1,
  it states that a PDP shall represent One Policy or Policy Set.

  That should take care of it.

  However, the next sentence in 7.1. may be worrysome, which says
  "Should the PDP be dynamic in nature in retrivin policies based
  on the request, the PDP ShALL act as if it represents a single
  policy set with the "Only One APplicable Policy" policy
  combining algorithm."

  So, what I think this is saying is that if you do not explicity
  configure your PDP with a single Policy or Policy Set, it
  specifies a default behavior of finding the "only" policy that
  should apply.

  I think we should really get rid of the text that stipulates
  that only one policy applies in Section 2.8, and leave it to
  the 7.1 section.

AA03: typo: 2.10.Actions performed in conjunction with enforcement
  e-mail sent 11 Oct 2002 12:37:06 -0400 (EDT)

  STATUS: editorial.

  Text location: Section 2.10, 4th line down (p. 15, line 510 in my
  copy of 18c :-)

  Text change: replace
    evalution in the <Obligations> element. which idea was described
                                            ^^^^^
  with
    evaluation in the <Obligations> element.  This idea was described

PH01: Clarifications changes on 18c
  e-mail sent 11 Oct 2002 16:13:36 -0400 (EDT)

  I've just attached a copy of 18c with some editorial changes. I've put
  the change bars on so you can see what they are, and Simon or Tim can
  merge them into their version of the document.

  I've changed only a few things that are manly clarifications based on our
  agreements on Thursday. I think I address to Hal's concerns about the
  policy indexing and the attribute things, as well as some other concerns
  about attributes and datatypes.

  Currently I see change bars in:

  Section 2 header (non-morative)
  Section 2.3 Added Only-one-applicable combining algorithm and description
  Section 2.8 Policy indexing clarifications
  Section 5.22 Function clarification with cross references
  Section 5.29 Attribute Selector clarifications
  Section 5.32 Obligation clarifications
  Section 7.1 Initial Policy clarification
  Section 7.4.2 Added Attribute Section
  Section 7.5 Authorization Decision about listing datatypes with missing
              attribute ids.

PH02: Review of Obligations Section 5.32
  e-mail sent 11 Oct 2002 14:05:37 -0400 (EDT)

  STATUS: not yet considered.

  I think we should take out the "semantic" definitions on the fulfillment
  of Section 5.32 Obligations in this element definition. (i.e. in this
  section).

  Text change: change the sentence "The FulfillOn attribute SHALL indicated the
  decision value for which this obligation MUST be fulfilled." to

  The FulfillOn attribute SHALL indicated the effect for which
  this obligation applies.

  FulfillOn [required]

  The effect for which this obligation applies.

  Rationale: The fulfillment of obligations is taken care of in
  the Chapter 7.

PH03: Section 7.5
  e-mail sent 11 Oct 2002 14:12:05 -0400 (EDT)

  STATUS: not yet considered.

  The second to last paragraph in Section 7.5 says "If a decision value of
  "NotApplicable" is returned, it means that the PDP's policy is not
  applicable to the request, implying that the PEP should send its request
  to another PDP.

  I think we should get rid of "implying that the PEP should send its
  request to another PDP" which contradicts the later sections.

AA04: 5.1 PolicySetId explanation clarification
  e-mail sent 11 Oct 2002 15:56:51 -0400 (EDT)

  STATUS: not yet considered.

  Text location: Section 5.1 (PolicySet), explanation of
  PolicySetId (p. 44, lines 1845-1848 in my copy of 18c)

  Text change: Change "The party assigning the identifier MUST
  minimize the potential of some other party reusing the same
  identifier." to  "The party assigning the identifier MUST
  minimize the potential of some other party re-using the same
  identifier within the scope of the PDPs that may use or reference
  that identifier."

  Rationale: "How unique does it have to be, Anne?"  "As unique as
  necessary, Joe."

  [Tim] Anne - I was definitely uncomfortable with the original
  wording.  But, even your improvement leaves unnecessary room
  for misunderstanding.  Why not clearly state that it is the
  PAP's responsibility to ensure that no two policies visible to
  a PDP have the same identifier?  So, instead of "minimize the
  potential", why not say "eliminate the possibility"?

  In practice, PDPs SHALL only accept policies from PAPs that
  agree to conform to a disjoint identifier assignment scheme and
  PAPs MUST adhere to their declared scheme.  Yes/No?

  [Anne] This is fine with me.

AA05: editorial: PolicyCombiningAlgId reference
  e-mail sent 11 Oct 2002 16:01:00 -0400 (EDT)

  STATUS: editorial.

  Text location: Section 5.1 (PolicySet), explanation of
  PolicyCombiningAlgId (p. 44, lines 1852-1853 in my copy of 18c).

  Text change: Change "Standard policy-combining algorithm
  identifiers are listed in Section Combining Algorithms." to
  "Standard policy-combining algorithm identifiers are listed in
  Appendix B.10 Combining Algorithms."

  Rationale: word processor mis-reference.

AA06: clarify computed <Target>s
  e-mail sent 11 Oct 2002 16:36:51 -0400 (EDT)

  Text locations:
  1) Section 5.1 (PolicySet), explanation of <Target>
     element (p. 44, lines 1661-1863 in my copy of 18c).
  2) Section 5.17 (Policy), explanation of <Target> element (p. 52,
     lines 2170-2172).

  Text change: In both locations above, replace

    "The <Target> element MAY be declared by the creator of the
    [<PolicySet>|<Policy>] or it MAY be computed from the <Target>
    elements of the referenced [<PolicySet> and <Policy>|<Rule>]
    elements, either as an intersection or as a union."

  with

    "See Section 5.5 Target for more information about the <Target>
    element."
  ---------------------
  Text location: In Section 5.5 Element <Target>, just before the
  schema fragment (p. 46, after line 1908 in 18c).

  Text change: Add

    "See Section 7.4 Target construction for more information about
    how a <Target> element may be constructed."
  ---------------------
  Text location: following Section "7.3 Policy evaluation".

  Text change: Add new section as follows:

    7.4 Target construction

    An XACML <PolicySet>, <Policy>, or <Rule> has a <Target>
    element that specifies the set of Subjects, Resources, and
    Actions to which the <PolicySet>, <Policy>, or <Rule> applies.
    The <Target> of a <PolicySet> or <Policy> may be declared by
    the creator of the <PolicySet> or <Policy>, or may be
    constructed prior to evaluation of the <PolicySet> or <Policy>
    from the <Target> elements of the referenced <PolicySet>s,
    <Policy>s, and <Rule>s.

    The component that might construct a <Target> dynamically is
    outside the scope of XACML, but there are two logical methods
    that might be utilized.  In one method, the <Target> of the
    outer <PolicySet> or <Policy> (the "outer component") is
    constructed as the union of all the <Target>s of the referenced
    <PolicySet>s, <Policy>s, or <Rule>s (the "inner components").
    In another method, the <Target> of the outer component is
    constructed as the intersection of all the <Target>s of the
    inner components.  The results of evaluation will be very
    different depending on which method is chosen: in the first
    case, the <Target> of the outer component makes it applicable
    to any Request that matches the <Target> of at least one inner
    component; in the second case, the <Target> of the outer
    component makes it applicable only to Requests that match the
    <Target> of every inner component.  Note that computing the
    intersection of a set of <Target>s is not necessarily easy.  It
    is also not possible to compute a perfect intersection in every
    case.

    In cases where the <Target> of a <Policy> is specified by the
    <Policy> creator, any component <Rule>s in the <Policy> that
    have the same <Target> may omit the <Target> element.  Such
    <Rule>s inherit the <Target> of the <Policy> in which they are
    contained.

  Rationale: How it is constructed should be completely transparent
  to the XACML policy evaluator, but how it is constructed will
  affect the results of the policy.