Subject: Re: [xacml] bags and targets. Forwarded message from Seth Proctor.

On 17 October, Polar Humenn writes: Re: [xacml] bags and targets. Forwarded message from Seth Proctor.
 > This sentence means exactly what it says. If the the selector or
 > designator evalutates to an empty bag, then there is no match, i.e. the
 > match "predicate" is False.
 >
 > The match predicate is akin to asking, "Do you have one or more of any
 > subject ids that match "john.*". If you have none, then False, if you have
 > at least one, then True.

Are you saying that the result will be "False", rather than
"Indeterminate", when an not-found attribute is compared to a
value?

If so, I think this is wrong.  If we can't find an attribute
value in the Request Context, for whatever reason, then the
result should be "Indeterminate", because there MAY be such a
value available somewhere and we simply weren't able to get it.

If your application needs to know for sure that something is not
available (e.g. "Is this person a convicted felon?"), then the
application needs to use a positive attribute like "Is not a
convicted felon", where a trusted authority makes a positive
assertion that such information is missing, rather than depending
on a missing "Is a convicted felon" attribute.

We really need to pin this down.  Daniel, I think, says that only
some sort of operational error in talking to the PIP or
repository would result in "Indeterminate".  But we can't
guarantee that an error would be detected or that the PDP wasn't
querying the wrong PIP or repository.  A classic security breach
is to make something silently unavailable (unplug a relay,
re-route a message, etc.), and use that to access systems that
assume something that is not available is false.

If an attribute is not present, then the PDP doesn't know what
its value is, and the result should be "Indeterminate" - which
means "the PDP is unable to determine the result".