Subject: Re: [xacml] [Polar] PH09: New section 7.4.2 Attributes

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Seth Proctor wrote:

> While working on our implementation, I noticed the problem of AD/AS types
> always returning bags but almost all standard functions requiring single base
> types (and therefore rejecting bags as input). I suggested that one way to
> solve this was to treat a bag with a single item the same as that single item
> on its own. Text was proposed for this change. There was no discussion on the
> list, but the updated change list from Thursday afternoon suggests that this
> change suggestion was rejected, with no explination except "Use anyOf."

> Since "Use anyOf" doesn't apply to my change request, and since there is no
> other explination for why this was rejected or how I'm supposed to treat
> this problem, I am asking my question again: how are functions that expect
> single values supposed to deal with the bags that are required to be returned
> from AD/AS types?

Seth,

You use "anyof" in this way.

<Apply FunctionId="function:AnyOf">
    <Function FunctionId="function:string-equal">
    <AttributeValue Datatype="....#string">Hello World</AttributeValue>
    <AttributeDesignator ....../>
</Apply>

This structure explictly states that if indeed the AttributeDesignator
returns more than one value, it is your *explicit intent* that the
boolean is true for any of the returned values.

Cheers,
-Polar