Subject: RE: [xacml] IIC012: syntax-error or processing-error?

A question: do we state that PDP is indeed processing XACML policy and
request directly?

In an implementation PDP may never even see the policy in question: errors
in the policy document are beeing taken care by PAP and transformed in some
other internal format, while the request context is processed by PEP and
context handler.  PDP may read and process the policy in an entirely
different format - thus it can not pass this conformance test.

D;

-----Original Message-----
From: Polar Humenn
To: Seth Proctor
Cc: Anne Anderson; XACML TC
Sent: 12/4/02 8:17 AM

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Seth Proctor wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 10:37:53AM -0500, Polar Humenn wrote:
> > "If an error occurs while evaluating the target of a policy, or a
> > reference to a policy is considered invalid or the policy evaluation
> > results in "Indeterminate", then the policy set SHALL evaluate to
> > "Indeterminate"."
>
> By my reading, this only covers some of the cases. I see three reasons
for
> an error in the quoted text:
>
> 1. An error occurs while evaluating the target of a policy
> 2. A reference to a policy is considered invalid
> 3. Policy evaluation returns Indeterminate
>
> Reasons 1 and 3 refer to policies that have been successfully parsed
by the
> PDP. If the policy is invalid, then we [1] won't try target
evaluation, and we
> won't get an error on policy evaluation.

In some cases, target evaluation will be through indexing, in which you
must retrieve all the policies and the policies must have been parsed
beforehand, so you will know if the containing policy is really valid or
not due to its consitutents.

In the case where policy behind the reference is considered valid before
proven invalid, then you are effectively evaluating the targets of the
policy as you retreive them, in which case the "error"  will happen
during
evaluation of that particular target.

The next case is if the reference is not valid.

Cheers,
-Polar

> That leaves reason 2, which I believe only refers to a
PolicyIdReference