Subject: Re: [xacml] IIC012: syntax-error or processing-error?

Daniel Engovatov wrote:
> I would think it is the syntax-error.  There is nothing wrong about
> reporting an incorrectly formed policy and nothing sacred about type
> incorrectness.  This is what status codes are for.

this is my thinking as well.

it seems to me that this conversation ties back into the 'run-time' type checking discussion: on the one hand polar seems to be saying that he will have determined policy malformedness prior to the decision processs, while anne & seth are talking about those cases whereby a problem is discovered during the decision process.

if this is true, then in the former case--polar's scenario--the situation of having a problem processing a policy would only likely be the result of some internal misfiring (PAP/PRP <--> PDP miscommunication, etc.) and i would think that this would most assuredly warrant an error code of some sort with an INDETERMINATE decision. the case of the policy being written properly would not occur, so the response in that case is moot.

the latter case--anne & seth's--could arise under similar circumstances as well as by run-time checking issues (poorly written policies). as pointed out in this thread this would warrant an INDETERMINATE result with an error code.

in both cases i think that the decision is clearly *not* NOTAPPLICABLE because the decision making process has begun using a policy that is undigestible (or in the case of polar's case, attempting to evaluate a policy that has be rendered inoperable by some unplanned event). otherwise, how does the PDP differentiate between a happily functioning system and one that has, say acess control rights, network issues, etc. with the policy repository?