Subject: RE: [xacml] XACML and IETF/DMTF/CIM

First of all, I was responsible for introducing PDP and PEP to SAML from
whence they were adopted by XACML.

Back around 2001 I did look at other policy approaches with the view to
standardization relevant to Entegrity's products. At that time I concluded
that the approaches in the IETF and the DMTF fell into two categories.

1. Those designed for generalize use were too undeveloped to be of practical
value and at that time were not being actively enhanced.

2. Those that were being developed for specific problem domains (e.g. cell
phone networks) were not generic enough to be useful for the general access
control problem.

I have not followed those efforts in the last couple of years.

Hal