Subject: complexity going forward

I've been spending the last several weeks working
with XACML from the point of view of a policy writer
and a systems programmer (as opposed to my previous
point of view as implementor), and I thought I'd
share two observations.

1. XACML is very cool. There are a lot of powerful
features in this language that really work. I was
able to build a lot of complex policies without
extending too many pieces...just custom code to find
policies and attributes, which is needed in almost
any system. So far everyone who's seen the demo has
been way impressed by what XACML can do.

2. Working with XACML is really hard. The tradeoff
to building flexible, expressive, generic languages
is that they can be hard to work with, and XACML is
definately that. It becomes even more of a challenge
when you start to build up real systems around XACML
and you have to figure out how all the pieces fit
together and how one change can affect many
different policies and queries. I bring this up
because I'm seeing a lot of new work items in the
TC, and some of them look like they'll make things
even more complex. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for
the standard pushing forward and the right features
getting added to the system, but there isn't a lot
to help people along, and so I wonder whether users
need a little bit of support before the standard
should push in too many more confusing features.

I'm particularly curious about demand for some of
the features being discussed. I'm seeing a lot of
use cases, but none of them seem to be backed up by
real-world scenarios or comments from people
actually using XACML in anything. So far my
experience is that the language has almost
everything that I need, and that seems to be the
common opinion that I've heard from others too.
Again, I wouldn't want to slow down the progress
being made here, and I'm not trying to question any
particular feature, but I'm wondering how many new
features are coming from "it would be cool if we
could do this" versus features that are coming from
real demand. Given how complex XACML 1.0 already is,
I would hope that most features that get added
quickly fall into the second catgory.

Anyway, I just wanted to bring these issues up since
I haven't really seen them discussed much on the
list. Apologies if I've made anyone upset...I really
just want to understand where a number of these
features are coming from.

thanks

seth