Subject: Re: [xacml] Draft proposal for new work item: properties for new combiningalgorithm

Alternative proposal:

  Define ordered versions of permit-overrides and deny-overrides
  for XACML 1.1.

The only requirement we have so far is for priorities.  I believe
priorities are best handled by adding evaluation order
requirements to combining algorithms (i.e. sub-policies or
sub-rules must be evaluated in the order specified).

Here are my additional concerns about the "properties for new
combining algorithm" proposal:

 1) As other have mentioned, "kitchen sink" elements are easily
    mis-used.  Once introduced, they tend to develop a life of
    their own that impedes or prevents other rational extensions
    to the language.

 2) If we allow parameters that affect combining algorithms to be
    embedded inside the combined elements, we are effectively
    allowing the writer of the sub-policy or sub-rule to control
    evaluation of the enclosing policy.  Until I see a good use
    case otherwise, I believe the writer of an enclosing policy
    must retain control of how the policy will be evaluated.

 3) How does the author of a sub-element know which combining
    algorithm will be applied to the sub-element?  Parameters
    appropriate to combining algorithm A may be specified in Policy
    1, but Policy 1 may be referenced from a PolicySet that uses
    combining algorithm B.  In fact, the parameters supplied may
    have unintended effects when used with combining algorithm
    B.

    The parameters could be tagged in some way according to the
    combining algorithm to which they apply, but I think this
    becomes unwieldy.  Can you supply multiple sets of parameters
    in a single Policy, each of which applies to a different
    potential combining algorithm?  Do we force properties to
    have unique identifiers that associate them with a particular
    combining algorithm?

Anne

On 22 April, Michiharu Kudoh writes: [xacml] Draft proposal for new work item: properties for new combining  algorithm