Subject: Re: [xacml] Draft proposal for new work item: properties for new combiningalgorithm

>Must *all* rules carry a set of properties?
No. A set of properties described in each rule depends on the semantics of
the user-defined combining algorithm. If that algorithm requires three
properties, then all the rules enclosed in that algorithm (policy) must
provide three properties. If the algorithm is XACML standard one, then no
properties should be specified.

>Must all rules carry property values consistent in type and
>position with all other rules?
If you are referring to rules in a certain policy with some user-defined
combining algorithm (that requires some properties), then the answer is
yes. The scope of the required property is per combining algorithm.

>Must the same condition hold for the semantic value of those values
>across all rules?
As I wrote above, property is per algorithm thing.

>What would the rule combining algorithm do if there are "missing" or
>"extra" properties?
While it depends on user-defined algorithm, it might be good to give some
guidelines such as the algorithm should return "indeterminate" if some
attributes are missing or extra properties are specified.

>Are we going to have Rule references?
No.

Michiharu Kudo

                      Polar Humenn
                      <polar@syr.edu>          To:       Michiharu Kudoh/Japan/IBM@IBMJP
                                               cc:       XACML TC <xacml@lists.oasis-open.org>
                      2003/04/23 23:05         Subject:  Re: [xacml] Draft proposal for new work item: properties for new combining
                                                algorithm

Hi Michiharu,

I'm more concerned about the more formal semantic aspects than the syntax.

Must *all* rules carry a set of properties?

Must all rules carry property values consistent in type and position with
all other rules?

Must the same condition hold for the semantic value of those values
across all rules?

What would the rule combining algorithm do if there are "missing" or
"extra" properties?

Are we going to have Rule references?
If so, what ramifications do the properties bring to bare in the face of
developing rules in isolation to each other, such as "priority".

A simple syntax proposal does not suffice.

Sure, we can stick a whole bunch of syntactical stuff into rules,
policies, and policy sets, (all of which I think there is too much
already). However, the more variable unweildy parts you stick in, the more
unstable the whole becomes. The next thing you have to do is write a
"Profile"  document for the use of XACML for each specific purpose. Uggg.
This is the exact fiasco the X standards run into, X.500 (i.e. LDAP
Profile, and profiles for the profile), X.509 (PKIX Profile(s)). Although,
I guess, that approach keeps some people actively employeed.

I'm not saying it cannot be done, we just have to think about it
thoroughly.

For instance, if we allow properties to rules, and have rule references,
we should then allow (more like somebody would want) properties added to
policies and policy sets? Then why even bother with rules? They are the
same as policies, etc.

However, requirements are requirements. We ended up "targeting" rules,
which I still think was a mistake, because it made it too much like
policies and increased the administration costs, but it somehow turned
itself into a requirement, and there we have it.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now, and go hide in the corner. :)

Cheers,
-Polar

Kudoh/Japan/IBM@IBMJP

<xacml@lists.oasis-open.org>