Subject: [WSPL] Do attestations belong in policy?

I strongly object to the idea of including "attestations" within
the scope of a policy language.  "Attestations" are not
"policies".  A policy may be predicated on attestations, but does
not provide attestations.  For example, a policy makes statements
of the form

  "If you have an authenticated attestation from a trusted
   attestor that you have logged in using a smart card then
   you are allowed to access operation Z of service Y".

A policy does not make statements of the form

  "The issuer of this policy attests that Subject X has logged in
   using a smart card".

"Attestations" are "assertions".  They are handled by SAML in the
XML standards world, and by X.509 Attribute Certificates in the
X500 world, as examples of two well accepted standards.

A policy language should have a way of referencing or describing
attestations (such as XACML's Request Context), but the policy
language does not supply the attestations that a policy
references and is not a way of making attestations.

Anne