Subject: Re: [xacml] Modeling Delegation of Rights in a simplified XACML with Haskell

Frank Siebenlist wrote:

> I don't believe so, because the delegation tree is build up of decisions
> and not policies. So if you someone come in with a request for the
> action read, the policies will be evaluated to match that action. If you
> issued a deny on read and write, that will yield a deny on a reqest for
> read. The policy that give you the read permit access will yield permit
> resulting in a overall deny. If a write request came in, then your
> policy will initially yield a deny on the write action, but the previous
> policy that delegated you the read action doesn't give you a permit on
> write and therefor yields NA, which also invalidates your initial deny
> on write in a NA.
>
> Bill's policy for frank: {denyEffect if (action==read or action==write}
> PDP's policy for bill:   {permitEffect if (action==read)}
>
> if i come in with a read request the decisions combination will be:
>
> <frank|D|bill><bill|P|PDP> => <frank|P|PDP>
>
> if i come in with a write the decisions combination is:
>
> <frank|D|bill><bill|N|PDP> => <frank|N|PDP>

hmmm, maybe i didn't explain this correctly. lemme try this, how would
you handle this policy combination (from the issuer viability decision):

<policy issuer=bill>
  <rule>
   if the sun is up deny frank create on uri:/ABC/
  </rule>
  <rule>
   if the moon is up deny frank read on uri:/ABC/XYZ
  </rule>
</policy>

<policy issue=sue>
  <rule>
   if it is thursday deny bill read on uri:/ABC/XYZ
  </rule>
</policy>

it is thursday, both the sun and moon are out, frank tries to rename
(recreate) uri:/ABC/XYZ. i read this to mean that the PDP must evaluate
this as one policy four times:

can frank read uri:/ABC/XYZ
can frank create uri:/ABC/XYZ'
can bill read uri:/ABC/XYZ (implied authority derived from sue's policy)
can bill create uri:/ABC/XYZ'(ditto)

> We may have the same issue in the current xacml (or any authorization
> system), when the number of policy statements explode because you either
> need unique policies per subject or per resource. You normally throw in
> the towel and force the subjects or resources to keep their own policies
> with them (like data labeling) and try to find other abstraction
> mechanisms to keep the policy manageable (like matching clearance levels
> to labels).

yes and no. what i am suggesting is that at the very least we experience
a doubling of evaluation effort over the current model and i fear that
once the model is extended to policysets (they will have issuers as
well, correct?), etc. we may face combinatorial explosion in the number
of evaluations.