Subject: Difference between Obligations and Conditions

Colleagues -

There has been a debate for days on the OGSA-Authorization mailing list
regarding the differences in semantics between a Condition and an
Obligation.  Establishing the semantic differences the intent of SAML
Conditions and XACML Obligations in the realm of deciding and enforcing
authorization decisions is an important point of agreement to reach.

I wanted to ask for your opinions and insight as to the differences between
a condition and an obligation to add to the discussion mix.   I've included
much of the original thread from the OGSA-AuthZ list below to frame the
request.

Thoughts?

Rebekah

I'm still not seeing a substantial difference here between a Condition and
an Obligation.

It seems that if I encode something as either an Obligation or a Condition,
it must be satisfied or the authorization fails. Can someone provide me a
statement that describes a semantic difference in behavior?

David's definitions define the difference as whether or not a third party is
involved in satisfying the Condition or Obligation. I don't see that as a
meaningful difference. That sounds important only internally to the PEP.
Some PEPs may need help of a third party (and maybe a fourth...) others may
not. This would mean as a policy writing I have to know if the PEP is going
to need help satisfying my Condition and if so encode it as an Obligation?

David's definitions:

> If the returned blob requires the PEP to evaluate something (internally)
> before enforcing the decision, then it is a condition (as in this case).
> Constraints are conditions that need to be evaluated
>
> If the returned blob requires the PEP to undertake some action (with an
> external object) before it enforces the decision, then it is an obligation

Von

David Chadwick writes (14:50 January 10, 2004): Frank