Subject: RE: [xacml] request's attribute assertion lifetime?

>"...decisions for a single time T are not very useful in practice and
we >rely on unspoken, implicit time-intervals for which we assume the
validity
>of that decision."

Why?  That are the ONLY decisions our system, for example, is interested
in.   We do not control customer data, and validity of such data does
NOT map into simple intervals.

There is NO "implicit time-interval".  Decision is valid for a POINT in
context space.  Well defined, explicit point.  There are no extended
sets or intervals.  I argue that there can be no such intervals if you
do not know how every element in the context may depend on time (as it
is most likely unknown to the PDP).

>"The PEP actually makes use of that property to note implicitly or
>explicitly that the current time is still within an acceptable range
>compared to the time for which the decision was evaluated."

>In other words, we are already using time intervals for authorization
>decisions and enforcement ... maybe it's time to acknowledge that and
>formalize it instead of keeping it fuzzy and under the carpet.

No, we do not.  There are most definitely, absolutely, no time intervals
anywhere in my authorization decisions.  They are done for a specific
point in time.  If I want to cache it, then the data source is
responsible for determining whether it is OK for any dimension in the
context.

You can get the behavior you want by including the interval data as one
of the dimensions of this POINT in the context, as, for example, Polar
proposed.

Daniel.