Subject: RE: [xacml] legal values for Strings

Looking at
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-xml-2e-20000814#dt-character
I read that the character data in string should use all the &lt and
friends to encode the string.

Let XML experts correct us.  Anybody?

-----Original Message-----
From: Polar Humenn [mailto:polar@syr.edu]
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2004 5:41 AM
To: Seth Proctor
Cc: xacml@lists.oasis-open.org

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Seth Proctor wrote:

> In the current example policies, there are several places where we use
> construction like
>
>   <AttributeValue DataType="...:string" AttributeId="foo">
>     <bar>baz</bar>
>   </AttributeValue>
>
> In other words, we specify a datatype of string and then follow with
> complex content. While the specification implies in several places
that
> this it legal, it never comes out and says so explicitly. This is in
> part because we don't define string, but instead we take it from
> XMLSchema.
>
> According to XMLSchema, however, string is a simple type, and may not
be
> used to represent complex content. In other words, string is not
> supposed to contain any child elements.

The string may contain any kind of characters as it wants. It may also
contain "42".

Conceivably, I should be able to have

   <AttributeValue DataType="...:string" AttributeId="foo">
     <bar>baz
   </AttributeValue>

Would that cause a problem with the current DOM parsers?

Do we need a new string type that that "escapes" tag brackets?

For example:
   <AttributeValue DataType="...:string" AttributeId="foo">
     \<bar>baz\</bar>
   </AttributeValue>

But then that means we must also escape the escape (i.e. "\\").

Cheers,
-Polar

> If we look at an XACML policy as
> a bunch of characters, then we might be meeting this contract. If we
> look at an XACML policy as a DOM tree, then we're almost certainly
> breaking this contract.
>
> So, a question: is it legal in XACML to use string as the datatype for
> what may be interpreted as complex content? I would suggest the answer
> is no, unless we want to add explicit text to the XACML specification
> explaining why it's ok. Keep in mind that for people using DOM/SAX,
the
> tree will be interpreted before they see the value, and this can cause
> the tags to change their representation (eg, namespacing, macro
> replacing, etc).
>
> Any thoughts on this?
>

> seth

of the OASIS TC), go to