Subject: Re: [xacml] ANSI INCITS 359-2004 etc

Robin,

The XACML TC had the opportunity to work with the NIST RBAC team as they
were doing their final review of what has become the ANSI RBAC standard
and as we were developing the XACML Profile for Role Based Access Control.
The XACML RBAC Profile, recently approved by the
XACML TC as a Committee Draft, uses the ANSI terminology and model, and
completely implements the functionality described in the ANSI RBAC standard.
The authors of the ANSI standard are listed in the acknowledgments for the
XACML RBAC Profile.

I believe the RBAC model described in the ANSI standard is consistent with
consensus modern understandings of RBAC.

The weakness of the ANSI RBAC standard is in its APIs: they are designed for
small, special-purpose, turnkey systems, and could not be implemented on
top of any modern operating system.  The authors of the standard agree with
this, but were eager to get something minimal out and felt it would be years
before they could reach agreement on anything more substantial.  The XACML
RBAC profile does not support the ANSI RBAC APIs.

Anne Anderson