Subject: Another use case: Re: Proposal for XACML 2.0 Work Item #62:"concatenate" functions

On 12 April, Anne Anderson writes: Proposal for XACML 2.0 Work Item #62: "concatenate" functions
 > Problem statement
 > =================
 >
 > One use case supplied by Daniel and described as "very common"
 > follows:
 >
 > Policies may apply to resources whose identities are
 > subject-specific instances of a given resource class.  For
 > example, each subject may have a unique home directory, but each
 > subject will have a subdirectory named "private" in that home
 > directory.  The policy writer wants to allow subjects to access
 > only their own "private" sub-directories.

I forgot to mention that my J2SE XACML Policy Provider is another
use case for "concatenate" functions.  The existing J2SE policy
syntax supports a "property expansion" scheme that allows the
value of instance-specific variables to be inserted into other
values needed by the policy.  I don't know all the uses for this,
but the examples use it to prefix a literal file path with the
instance-specific user's home directory.

In order to support this, I had proposed a rather clumsy syntax
for referencing a Subject, Resource, Action, or Environment
Attribute value to be included as part of some other literal
AttributeValue.  Concatenation functions are a much cleaner way
to handle this.