Subject: RE: [xacml] XACML Core Spec

Polar - Yes.  Currently, PolicyIdRef and RuleIdRef are strings and PolicyId
and RuleId are URIs.

I think you are suggesting changing PolicyIdRef to a URI and RuleId to a
string.

I won't make any changes for the time being, as nothing is actually broken.
But, let's resolve this at the face-to-face.

All the best.  Tim.

-----Original Message-----
From: Polar Humenn [mailto:polar@syr.edu]
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2004 11:59 AM
To: Tim Moses
Cc: 'XACML'

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Tim Moses wrote:

> Polar - We have RuleIdRef defined as a string and RuleId defined as a
> URI. Is this intentional?  All the best.  Tim.

You mean in the RuleCombinerParameter?

This must be historical. RuleId's were URI's right? I think this approach
just comes from the PolicyId or PolicySetIds being URIs. But they are URIS
because they can be externally referenced in a PolicySet (god only knows
how).

We don't have RuleReferences, (and we shouldn't), so a rule really didn't
even need a RuleId other than having a descriptive name.

Now a RuleCombinerParameter can reference it from only within the Policy,
much like how VariableDefintions are referenced.. Therefore, the RuleID
really shouldn't be more than a string.

I would like to see the RuleId be a string, so that less complicated
string-equality can be used to deal with these RuleCombinerParameters.

We wouldn't be loosing anything, since there was nothing you would do with a
RuleId as a URI in the first place.

Cheers,
-Polar