Subject: RE: [xacml] Groups - oasis-xacml-2.0-wd-10.zip uploaded

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 10:33, Tim Moses wrote:
> Seth - That's right.  Simon requested that we recommend to policy writers
> and context handler developers that time be expressed in the UTC time zone.
> I don't believe this affects how the PDP deals with time: it should be able
> to handle any combination of time zones.  We merely RECOMMEND that
> everything be normalized to UTC.  All the best.  Tim.

I agree that this doesn't affect processing, but it may lead to some
confusion. Many of the time-related proposals I've made are specifically
aimed at supporting different time zone problems, and those in turn have
come from many experiences with people who want to use explicit or
implicit local timezones.

I think it's reasonable to suggest that people use UTC-normalized times,
but I would like to see this in a separate section with some explanitory
text for why this comment exists. Otherwise, people who are thinking
about using one form for their time values may think that they're doing
the wrong thing without understanding why.

seth