Subject: Re: [xacml-comment] Public Comment

Thank you Haruyki-san. After some invesigation, I believe you led me to
some errors in the notation of the new document. I will comment on
your comments below :)

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Haruyuki Kawabe wrote:

> It means that the result of all-of operation is True if its third
> argument is  an empty bag,  right ?
> It is formally consistent but  a strange result intuitively.

Well, that all depends on if your an ordinal thinker (0) or a cardinal
thinker (1). :^)

I once had a philosphy professor who taught a "Philosophy of Mathematics"
course, and the conclusion of this course was that "the empty set didn't
exist".

But then, again, really, neither did the chair I was sitting on. :^)

> (And the result of all-of-any and all-of-all  is True if their second
> argument is an empty bag.)

Your are correct for "all-of-all". However, for "all_of_any", it's a bit
more complex.

all_of_any f []     [] = True

(This result is contrary to what is in the spec, which is one of the
errors. See below).

However, if the first list is not empty:

all_of_any f (x:xs) [] =
	any_of f x []  &&  all_of_any f xs []

which reduces to:
       False && all_of_any f xs []

which reduces to

	False

However, you have pointed out an error in the specification as the first
clause of "all_of_any" (line 4651) is wrong and should read:

all_of_any f [] ys = True

not "False".

Cheers and Thanks!!!
-Polar