Subject: RE: [xacml] Oasis front page

Hi Hal,

  I'm surprised, after all of Eve's years with Arbortext that she would shun the use of XML. But in all seriousness, there is no
plan underway to enforce such a transition; it will most likely be required that each TC produce an XHTML version (for which I will
either recommend appropriate conversion toolsets or provide XSLT cleanup utilities). For new TCs, or TCs beginning new work, there
is also an XHTML template that can be used. The reality is that the TCs that are document-focused (i.e. DocBook, DITA, CGM) do their
work in XML; all of the other TCs to the best of my knowledge use either MS Word or OpenOffice.

Mary P McRae
OASIS
Manager of TC Administration
email: mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org
web: www.oasis-open.org
phone: 603.232.9090
cell: 603.557.7985

-----Original Message-----
From: Hal Lockhart [mailto:hlockhar@bea.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 11:32 AM
To: mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org; Daniel Engovatov; Anne.Anderson@Sun.COM
Cc: xacml

In fairness, when we began in 2001, the opinion of XML experts (e.g. Eve Maler) was that the state of tools was not sufficiently
good to make use of XML for specification creation. XACML 2.0 has been evolved directly from the prior versions. Converting a large
formatted document from Word or PDF to XML is a sustantial, and potentially error-prone piece of work and I do not blame the editors
for not having attempted it.

Perhaps we should discuss if this should be done for 3.0.

Hal

P.S. For those of us whose expertise is not using XML to create documents, it would be useful if OASIS could list free tools (or
even commercial products) which have successfully been used to create and edit OASIS Specifications.