Subject: Re: [xacml] What if multiple values found?

Hi Rich,

The Request Context is a "notional view" of all Attributes that the PDP
should take into account in evaluating its policies.  The XACML
specification does not specify how that Request Context will be
populated, nor what policies are used in deciding which Attribute values
to make available.  Those are implementation and deployment dependent.

It is up to the implementation of the Context Handler and the local
policies on how that Context Handler will be used to determine the
sources of Attributes.  A Request Context supplied by a PEP is not
necessarily what the PDP will use, and typically will be used to seed
the Request Context used for evaluation.  It is up to the local Context
Handler implementation and policies as to whether an external source
will be queried if the Request Context seeded from the PEP's input
already contains one or more values for a given Attribute.

Anne

--
Anne H. Anderson               Anne.Anderson@sun.com
Sun Microsystems Labs          1-781-442-0928