Subject: Deontic logic

Colleagues - Here is the HP report that gives a good description of deontic logic.

http://ebiquity.umbc.edu/v2.1/paper/html/id/123/

There are four primary constructs ... rights (things you are allowed to do), prohibitions (things you are not allowed to do), obligations (things you have to do) and dispensations (things you do not have to do).

When presented with conflicting constructs, there are various strategies for reconciliation.  For instance, rights might override prohibitions.  Alternatively, prohibitions could override rights.  Whether one has a more general or more specific scope than the other may also play a role.

I can see a place for obligations and prohibitions in our work.  It is not so clear whether rights and dispensations are useful.

All the best.  Tim.