Subject: Eve Maler comments on new Draft SAML Profile

I pinged Eve for comments and here is her response.  It looks like
everyone is in agreement that we should NOT define XACMLAssertion or
XACMLAdvice elements and types.  I will remove those from the next
revision, and include Scott's example of how to embed a new statement
type in a SAML Assertion:

<saml:Statement xsi:type="xacml-saml:XACMLStatementType">

As he points out, we don't need to do anything special for the Advice
element, since it already allows <any namespace="#other">.

Anne H. Anderson               Anne.Anderson@sun.com
Sun Microsystems Labs          1-781-442-0928
Burlington, MA USA

--- Begin Message ---
I'm glad you pinged me...  It seems that, whenever I put a message
aside to respond to "later", later never comes!

Scott is much more experienced with using parsers and SAML APIs in
the wild than I am, not to mention having lived through Liberty's
first use/extension attempts of SAML, and so I respect his opinion.
  It seems he's saying two things:

- It's better to use the original SAML element, with just an
xsi:type on it, for common SAML processing semantics (he's a better
judge than I on this), and

- the structural changes you need are well accommodated in most
cases by the extensibility and wildcards already provided by SAML (I
don't recall having gone into a lot of detail in reviewing your
specific changes before).

I hope my earlier advice didn't lead you to make a whole bunch of
expensive design decisions that you now wish to undo...  That said,
I think Scott's and others' advice seems sound.

	Eve

--
Eve Maler                                         +1 425 947 4522
Technology Director                           eve.maler @ sun.com