Subject: Re: [xacml] SAML 2.0 Profile of XACML 2.0, Version 2, WD 2,26 June 2006

Hi Kamalendu,

Kamalendu Biswas wrote On 06/28/06 13:39,:
> Hi Anne,
>
> I have two comments on the revised draft:
>
> 1. Line# 763-767, Section 4.4 Element <xacml-samlp:XACMLPolicyQuery
>
> I think we should keep the xacml:Target element in the
> xacml-samlp:XAMLPOlicyQuery element as an optional element. It will help
> a distributed PDP to get necessary target specific policies (i.e. subset
> of policies) from a centralized PAP. As you have said in the
> specification, it might be difficult to determine target specific
> policies for particular scenario. However, we should keep the
> specification broad and not disallow using this element, when it may
> efficient to use this element.

Sending a Request Context is a good way to get a subset of policies.
For example, if you want all policies applicable to subject-id="cn=Anne
Anderson, O=Sun Microsystems, C=US", then include an Attribute with that
value in the Request Context.

Typically, I would think that XACMLPolicyQuery would either be used to
retrieve policies relevant to a specific access request or to retrieve
all policies relevant to some key value for the policy index.  In both
cases, a Request Context would be the most effective way to specify
which policies are needed.

Sending a <Target> element would be more general, but also much harder
to compute, and I worry that without an algorithm, this will actually
not be useful.

> 2. Line# 772-774, Section 4.4 Element <xacml-samlp:XACMLPolicyQuery
>
> It is mentioned in the specification that, "If the
> <xacml-samlp:XACMLPolicyQuery> contains no element instances, then the
> PAP SHOULD return all policies that are authorized and appropriate for
> use  by the requester."
>
> I am thinking a scenario where this kind of query may return a large
> number of policies. For example, a PDP wants to get all applicable
> policies form a centralized PAP. It might take considerable amount of
> time to get those policies. If there is a network outage or any other
> dependent service goes down, while policy retrieval is in progress then,
> PDP has to start downloading policies from the beginning.
>
> My suggestion is to include xacml:PolicySetIdReference and
> xacml:PolicyIdReference elements in the
> xacml-saml:XACMLPolicyStatementType element. If the number of requested
> polices are large enough (determined by PAP) then it might decide to
> send xacml:PolicySetIdReference/xacml:PolicyIdReference instead of
> actual xacml:Policy/xacml:PolicySet. Then, PDP can make additional
> requests to get them using specific
> xacml:PolicySetIdReference/xacml:PolicyIdReference elements.

I think this is a good suggestion, with a modification.  I suggest that
we define a "number of requested policies is too large" error, that
would be accompanied by the maximum number of policies that can be
requested in one query from this PAP.  If original Query included a
Request Context [or Target], the list of policy references applicable to
that Request Context [or Target] would be returned as error detail.  If
policy references were sent in the Query, there would be no need for the
same list of policy references to be returned.

I want to avoid the situation where a list of references is returned,
and the requester immediately turns around and sends the entire list of
references in a new query.  Or where the requester has sent a list of
references, and gets a "number of requested policies is too large"
error, but has no idea how many references it is acceptable to send in
one Query.