Subject: Re: [xacml] Issue#47: WS-Policy Assertion profile for XACML

Hi Tony,

Including an XACMLPolicyAssertion in a WS-Policy instance is a way for a
service to declare its access control / authorization policy.  It
describes a "requirement of a policy subject" - its authorization
requirement - so I think is a true assertion in the WS-Policy sense.
Clients can use this Assertion to determine what attributes or message
field values they would need to provide in order to access the service,
and ultimately whether they would be authorized to access the service.

Yes, you will be matching on the strong type
<xacmlws:XACMLPolicyAssertion>, and this should be sufficient.  The
inner matching/intersection for any assertion is domain-specific anyway.

In a client<->service usage scenario, the matching would probably be
asymmetric: the client's access control "constraints and capabilities"
would probably not be expressed in the form of an XACML policy.  The
match would not be done against two instances of an
XACMLPolicyAssertion, but instead between a service's
XACMLPolicyAssertion and the client's message, which might contain SAML
Attribute Assertions as "authorization tokens", for example.

If 2) [below] is implemented, then the matching operations defined in
the XACML profile for web-services (WSPL) could be used.  This might be
appropriate for expressing very simple authorization policies on both
the client and the service sides.

In a service composition scenario where multiple XACML policies must be
satisfied, the policies in their XACMLPolicyAssertions could be composed
using a combining algorithm.

I've received a number of queries about how an XACML policy will be
included in a WS-Policy instance, so I think there is a real need for a
standard way to do this.