Subject: Re: [xacml] OASIS copyright statement in schemas

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Anthony Nadalin wrote:

> In checking with our legal folks using the short form has a problem as they
> are not certain what the wording was of
> the policy at the time the document was generated. So your idea of the URL
> is better.

In the strictest sense, I agree that the use of a short form like

   <!-- Copyright OASIS Open 2006. All Rights Reserved. -->

could be ambiguous (a) if it's necessary to to able to ascertain the
precise legal text accompanying the short form statment, and (b) if
there was a change of IPR Policy in "2006" which resulted in altered
language associated with the "bare short form" copyright declaration.

At this moment, one could cite the IPR Policy copyright text ad loc

http://www.oasis-open.org/who/intellectualproperty.php#14.1

BUT, as Bill rightly notes (in "version sensitive URL"), that
reference is unstable:  OASIS has been publishing different versions
of the IPR Policy at the "intellectualproperty.php" URI.

I have suggested to a Board Committee that consideration could be
given to a different practice: any new version of an OASIS policy,
at the moment of release, should be assigned both a generic
(version-agnostic) URI and a version-specific URI.  For example,

http://www.oasis-open.org/who/intellectualproperty.php
http://www.oasis-open.org/who/IPR-Policy20060415.php

Assuming that the text of the document at the (second)
version-specific URI is inviolate, one could cite (e.g.,)

http://www.oasis-open.org/who/IPR-Policy20060415.php#14.1

with the assurance of a fixed mapping between the dated schema
document and the full text of the copyright statement
relevant at the time of the schema's publication.

Robin