Subject: Re: [xacml] Issue 40: <ResourceContent> element

The intent was to support requests to access multiple resources under
the same "situation" - i.e. a particular subject wants to perform an
action on multiple resources (could be multiple resources from a
hierarchy, for example).  This grew out of our "scope" attribute that
allowed one to treat a hierarchical resource as a tree of individual
resources.

That said, here are some options:

1) Multiple individual requests: Support bundling multiple individual
requests into a single package.  This means having to repeat all the
subject, action, and environment Attribute groups in each request.

2) Multiple arbitrary individual Attribute groups: Generalize the
existing model so that one can have multiple subject, resource, action,
and environment Attribute groups, where the PDP evaluates each possible
combination as a separate request.  We would have to create an element
to group subject Attribute groups that belong to the same situation (i.e
different SubjectCategory values that are associated with a single request).

3) As is: only multiple resource Attribute groups are allowed, as this
seems to be the most common case.  If you want multiple requests for
subjects, actions, or environments, you have to make separate requests.

I have not seen many use cases for anything other than 3).

--
Anne H. Anderson               Anne.Anderson@sun.com
Sun Microsystems Labs          1-781-442-0928