Subject: Issues with the Access Permitted feature

All,

There are some issues with the Access Permitted feature as it is in the
current draft (delegation wd 16, section 9).

It says that the access permitted function takes a parameter of string
type which shall be interpreted as the XML content of an <Attributes>
element of Category “Subject”. However, there is no special category
“Subject” in the generalized form of XACML 3.0. Each subject category is
now its own attribute category. Is it intended to be the access-subject?

Another alternative is that the parameter to the function may contain a
number of <Attributes> elements with identified categories, and the
supplied <Attributes> elements replace the corresponding elements from
the request context, to form the recursive request. Would this solve the
intended use cases? However, I think this form is NP-complete. (I have a
sketch for a proof in my head, but I haven't it in writing, so I might
have missed something.)

Also, it says in the section on Access Permitted in the delegation draft
that it should be moved to the core. I don't remember why it says so.
Should it be in the core or the delegation draft? In principle it could
stand on its own in the core, but the functionality is somewhat similar
to delegation.

Best regards,