Subject: 2.0 and 3.0 compatibility

All,

Since the meeting earlier today, I've been thinking about the backwards
compatibility issue. I think I have a solution which will always work.

What we are aiming for is to be able to mix 2.0 and 3.0 policies and
requests in a single PDP implementation. There are four cases to consider.

The cases of a 2.0 policy against a 2.0 request and a 3.0 policy against
a 3.0 request are obviously not issues.

Now, consider a 3.0 policy against a 2.0 request. In this case we can
upgrade the 2.0 request into an 3.0 request and the 3.0 policy should
work fine. The upgrade procedure is to simply create attribute
categories for the subject, resource, action, environment and any
particular subject categories. The resource content document goes in the
content element of the resource category and any xpath operation in the
3.0 policy should work as long it refers to the standard categories. If
it does not refer to the standard categories, it won't apply to the 2.0
request anyway.

The 2.0 policy and 3.0 request is a bit trickier. As we have discussed
at length earlier, it is very difficult to upgrade a 2.0 policy into 3.0
in general due to the problem of rewriting xpath expressions.

However, it seems to me that it is easy to downgrade the 3.0 request
into a 2.0 request. Initially I thought it would not be possible since
the 3.0 request is more expressive than the 2.0 request, but it turns
out it doesn't matter.

What we do is that we create a 2.0 request from the 3.0 request as
follows: From the standard resource, action and environment categories
in the 3.0 request we create the resource, action and environment
elements of the 2.0 request. The remaining 3.0 attribute categories all
go into the subject element as subject categories.

The treatment of the resource, action and environment should be clear.
But what about all the categories which could mistakenly be made into
subject categories? There are two cases to consider:

1. The 2.0 policy refers to the 3.0 category.
2. The 2.0 policy does not refer to the 3.0 category.

In case 1, this can only happen if the 3.0 category is actually a
subject category, so this means we have made a correct translation.

In case 2, the mistranslation will not have any effect on the decision.

Anyway, please review my thinking. It's midnight here now and I am up
only because I cannot sleep due to excess caffeine intake earlier today.
I might have missed something here. :-)