Subject: Profile updates for 3.0

All,

I have updated all the 2.0 profiles to 3.0, except the RBAC profile
which I haven’t got to yet. (BTW, some of the profiles have not been
assigned editors yet by the TC, but I hope nobody minds me fixing them.)
And I haven’t touched the SAML profile, which Anne pretty much finished
before she left.

I have not yet converted them to the new OASIS template since I wanted
to make diffs with the technical changes first. Also, I have not changed
references, layout and other details. I will do that when I convert them
to the new template since I need to redo all bookmarks anyway then. The
following summarizes the changes:

- Hierarchical -

I have updated the identifiers used to identify the profile
functionality to ”3.0”, but I have kept attribute identifiers and
datatypes as they are since there mostly is no need to change their
functionality.

One exception is the xpath-expression data type. Its definition refers
to the <ResourceContent> element, which has been replaced with
potentially several <Content> elements. We have discussed this datatype
earlier, and I proposed that it is replaced it with a general mechanism
for use of xpaths. However when I started to do this change, it seems to
me that this datatype is not needed at all. The wording of section 5.1
makes it sound like the datatype is a special construct which also acts
as a function and the datatype value is not the string itself, rather
the nodeset selected by the string interpreted as an xpath expression.
However, it is intended to be passed to the xpath-node-match function,
which takes strings as a parameter. As far as I understand, everything
would work even if it was just a string, except for the namespace prefix
binding issues we have discussed previously and which were fixed by the
new xpath data type in 3.0. So, I have removed section 5 and used the
new xpath datatype instead.

Could everyone verify that I have not missed anything important here?

Also, while doing this, I saw that the definitions of the xpath
functions in the latest 3.0 core draft was missing a specification of
the context node for evaluating the xpath expressions. I have added text
for the next core draft which specifies the <Request> element as the
context node.

BTW, there is an error in the 2.0 version of the hierarchical profile.
Section 4.2 refers to a function called
urn:oasis:names:tc:xacml:2.0:function:xpath-node-match in the 2.0 core.
However, there is no such function in the core (or at least I didn’t
find one). There is a function with almost the same name, just with a
“1.0” instead of “2.0”, but this doesn’t take the right types of. It
takes strings with xpath expressions, but in the hierarchical profile
the relevant attributes have the “custom” xpath-expression data type.

Finally, the 2.0 hierarchical and multiple resources profiles talk only
about resources. The same approach could of course be generalized to
other categories, such as hierarchical subjects. I am not sure whether
we should do so. I suggest that we don’t. I don’t see the use cases.

- Multiple -

I have updated the profile specification to reflect the new core schema
and to use the new xpath datatype. As was discussed earlier, I have also
allowed multiple <Attributes> elements of other categories than the
former <Resource> element. However, since I did not generalize the
hierarchical profile to other categories, the methods to specify
multiple resources based on hierarchies only apply to resources, not
subjects, etc.

- Privacy -

Only minor changes were required to the privacy profile. I have changed
the title and updated the example to the new schema. The example
contained an “xsi:schemaLocation” attribute at the <Rule> element, which
I removed since it didn’t have a correct value and I didn’t see the need
of it in the example.

- Digital signature -

This didn’t require any changes in the technical content as far as I
could tell. Just fixed the title. :-)

Best regards,